Re: [carfree_cities] Elevatorfree cities?

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 86 , Jul 3, 2005
      Hi Anima,

      I asssume that the lack of lifts/elevators are for
      many reasons not the primary missing infrastructure
      issue in Bangladesh.

      But I think that in the general building designs
      envisioned by Joel it is important, though I realise
      it adds expense, which is why I suggested the
      mass-produced lift kit thing, etc. As Joel mentioned
      lifts dont use much electricity, in fact I imagine the
      lift kit could include a mini-wind turbine to go on
      top of the elevator shaft! Or... if able-bodied people
      really want to use it they would have to ride a
      bike-generator which would feed a battery...

      In regards to lazy people using lifts, the best thing
      to do is the positive approarch - as with showing how
      much fun it is to ride a bike and shop, etc - so we
      need to make walking up stairs seem as fun as
      possible, even patriotic!!

      We could even adapt the new UK distance-charging
      scheme for roads to stairs, but in reverse, so people
      get discounts on their health insurance for using the
      steps ! Hurray!!!

      Todd, Steering committee WCN

      Message 86 of 86 , Jul 14, 2005
        Winding up the elevator discussion, Will Stewart said:

        >I assume you are talking about flats as the context for the following,
        > where an elevator would service 3 floors above the ground floor, and
        >perhaps 4 units per floor at each elevator stop.

        Well, no, TWO flats per floor, so they have through ventilation
        and some light from both ends.

        >Plus, the human factor of modest scale and a courtyard are also very
        >important factors.

        oh, yes

        Regards,