Re: [carfree_cities] Elevators

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 86 , Jul 3, 2005
      Dear Debra

      Our trains are increasingly sealed from the outside world. The older trains
      are called slightly demeaningly "slam door". The new ones have
      electronically controlled doors and the coach interiors are air-conditioned.
      I find it claustrophobic at times. There are little hammers in emergency
      boxes so that if the system breaks down passengers can escape through
      breaking a window.

      There is a tall block of flats with an open air balcony on every floor. The
      block is to be refurbished and the council is arguing that on grounds of
      cost, safety and health (to keep pigeons off the balconies) the balconies
      will be glassed in and become "conservatories" with glazed windows that will
      only open enough for cleaning but not so you can hang out plants or lean out
      to breath the fresh breezes.

      I will continue to argue for the reversal of this process but I am afraid
      many of these trends are quite popular - and the safety arguments are always
      difficult to combat, not withstanding the future illnesses that may be being
      seeded by cutting people off from the external world.

      The ridiculous thing as that when many people go on holiday in rich
      countries they seek the "great outdoors".

      Best

      Simon

      Message 86 of 86 , Jul 14, 2005
        Winding up the elevator discussion, Will Stewart said:

        >I assume you are talking about flats as the context for the following,
        > where an elevator would service 3 floors above the ground floor, and
        >perhaps 4 units per floor at each elevator stop.

        Well, no, TWO flats per floor, so they have through ventilation
        and some light from both ends.

        >Plus, the human factor of modest scale and a courtyard are also very
        >important factors.

        oh, yes

        Regards,