Re: [carfree_cities] Re: curbs and more curbs

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2005
      I don't think there is much question: Bikes and peds make an inherently
      unsatisfactory combination.

      Ordinary bicycles cannot be safely and conveniently operated at walking
      speed and, if they could, such operation would render them unattractive to
      most cyclists. Further, it doesn't seem to be possible to train
      pedestrians to follow walking rules, as can be seen on virtually any
      multi-use path. No matter how many signs are posted, they won't keep
      right (or left, or anywhere else) and they will persist in walking four
      abreast, wearing Walkman headphones so they can't hear voices and bells,
      and joining impromptu gatherings in the middle of the R.O.W. That's not
      such a problem for other peds, but it's a nightmare for cyclists. And the
      cyclists are a dangerous annoyance for the peds.

      If cycling is to be practical, useful and attractive as a transport mode,
      it needs to be separated from pedestrian space, except in limited
      circumstances.

      -Doug

      On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Todd Edelman wrote:

      > --- Karen Sandness <ksandness@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > ...but cyclists trying to barrel down
      > > the sidewalk in crowded shopping areas like Waseda-doori north of
      > > Nakano Station seems
      > > almost anti-social.
      >
      > TODD: It IS anti-social. Riding a bike does not
      > automatically make anyone an angel. Of course if they
      > have been pushed from the steet onto what was formerly
      > pedestrian space it is another discussion.
      >
      > Todd

      Doug Salzmann
      P.O. Box 1007
      Larkspur, CA 94977