Re:Fwd:[urb-eco] Livable Cities

  • Karen Sandness
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2005
      On Jun 29, 2005, at 3:25 PM, carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      >> "I can't think of one U.S. national politician who mentions cities or
      >> urban environment in any meaningful way," noted Urban Land Institute
      >> President Richard Rosan. "Not one of them is out there talking
      >> seriously about critical issues of transportation and housing,
      >> metropolitanwide planning, viability of communities - all ways that
      >> national government, even without dictating quite the way London
      >> does, could at least encourage a more secure and livable urban
      >> future."

      Well, he's just one person, but Oregon Congressman Earl Blumenauer
      comes to mind. Among other things, he rides his bicycle everywhere and
      lobbied to get transit benefits equivalent to parking benefits for
      Capitol Hill staffers. He tends to show up at transit-related and urban
      planning-related events. But Rosan is correct in saying that the U.S.
      government as a whole is uninterested in the topic.

      In transit,
      Karen Sandness