Re: [carfree_cities] What buildings need to be large?

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 86 , Jun 26, 2005

      Other Todd wrote:
      > Does anybody anywhere build multistory apartment or
      > commercial buildings
      > without elevators? At least in the US, the demands
      > of the wheelchair
      > people, parents with strollers, mothers carrying
      > heavy groceries, etc.
      > ensure that even most two story new construction has
      > elevators.
      >
      > Todd

      If elevators (lifts) are only put in some buildings in
      order to save costs than people who live there cannot
      have visitors in wheelchairs (it is more flexible with
      FATHERS carrying groceries, writers carrying copies of
      their new book, prams, etc) and, if, they ever find
      themselves in a wheelchair permanently, they will have
      to move.

      I would like to think that "lift" should be a basic
      just like running water, electricity, internet access,
      plumbing, etc.

      If I am missing something - if this is not so black
      and white - please let me know.

      Also, many older "grand" buildings have lifts
      retrofitted in the middle of their grand staircases.
      It takes up a lot of space, perhaps it can be
      downsized a bit.

      Todd

      Message 86 of 86 , Jul 14, 2005
        Winding up the elevator discussion, Will Stewart said:

        >I assume you are talking about flats as the context for the following,
        > where an elevator would service 3 floors above the ground floor, and
        >perhaps 4 units per floor at each elevator stop.

        Well, no, TWO flats per floor, so they have through ventilation
        and some light from both ends.

        >Plus, the human factor of modest scale and a courtyard are also very
        >important factors.

        oh, yes

        Regards,