Re: [carfree_cities] Elevated walkways

  • Lloyd Wright
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2005
      Hong Kong has a very extensive set of elevated walkways, and Bangkok has
      constructed several along the Skytrain corridors. I have come to like the
      concept in these cities since the intensity of the noise and pollution at the
      street level is too much for pedestrians. Being elevated one also has a
      better view and perspective on the city.

      However, if you have a fully pedestrianised corridor, I am not sure why you
      would want to do this. As noted previously, you are diluting the pedestrian
      density that brings life to your streets.

      As a resident in Japan, I definitely do not like the extensive use of
      underground passages in most major cities (Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, etc.). They
      are quite claustrophobic, most with relatively low ceilings and you have no
      orientation as to where you are in the city. In general, I think anything
      that separates us from the environment (whether the natural or the urban
      environment) is not a positive advancement. More worringly, the traffic
      police in Japan have used the existence of the underground passages as a
      reason to reduce pedestrian convenience at the surface (reduction of footpath
      space, elimination of crossings, and longer pedestrian signal phases).

      Best regards,

      Lloyd