What buildings need to be large?

    Message 1 of 86 , Jun 18, 2005
      Hi All,

      I'm busy writing the section on the process for
      participatory layout of carfree districts. While
      the process is fairly simple for families in their
      own buildings, probably each with a potentially
      for-rent commercial space on the ground floor, or
      for the family business, it becomes complicated
      by buildings that must by their nature be large.

      Small buildings are simple and comparatively
      inexpensive to build. They are flexible and can
      easily be renovated to serve changed needs.
      See these examples of typical Amsterdam streets/canals:

      http://www.carfree.com/cpix/3ams0922.jpg
      http://www.carfree.com/cpix/9ams1217.jpg
      http://www.carfree.com/cpix/9ams0431.jpg
      http://www.carfree.com/cpix/4ams0213.jpg
      http://www.carfree.com/cpix/9ams0703.jpg

      These are small buildings, particularly the ones
      in the last two photos. They are interesting because
      of their structural efficiency (they can be spanned
      wall-to-wall by fairly lightweight beams and need
      no intermediate columns) and because the smallest of
      them are small enough that the can be occupied by a
      single family. Single-family occupancy eases problems
      with neighbors, especially if the demising walls are
      independent, to reduce building-to- building noise
      transmission.

      Now, I am proposing that a company that wanted to
      set up offices in a carfree district would go around
      to various families and rent their ground floors
      to use as offices. I don't see any particular
      difficulty with this, once the property departments
      get used to it.

      However, some special occupancies will definitely
      (or probably) require their own, purpose-built
      structures, probably with the occupancy of all stories
      in the building. What I need help with is the
      identification of which buildings this might turn
      out to be. So far the list is:

      School & university
      Swimming pool & gymnasium
      Hotel
      Indoor market
      Bank (perhaps)
      Apartment block (but not usually)
      Church
      Library
      Clinic
      Theater
      Meeting hall
      Government office (sometimes)
      Medium-sized manufacturing operations (sometimes)

      I have already noted in parentheses some exceptions.
      (Families might build a house with an apartment to
      rent, for instance, possibly obviating the need for
      apartment blocks.) Many government offices can just
      as well be dispersed throughout the neighborhood.

      So, the question for the list is:

      What is the definitive list of special-occupancy
      buildings that must be provided in an urban area?

      (Have fun!)

      Thanks & regards,

      ------ ### -----
      Message 86 of 86 , Jul 14, 2005
        Winding up the elevator discussion, Will Stewart said:

        >I assume you are talking about flats as the context for the following,
        > where an elevator would service 3 floors above the ground floor, and
        >perhaps 4 units per floor at each elevator stop.

        Well, no, TWO flats per floor, so they have through ventilation
        and some light from both ends.

        >Plus, the human factor of modest scale and a courtyard are also very
        >important factors.

        oh, yes

        Regards,