Pedestrian gridlock in Times Square, New York City

  • erik_rauch
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2005
      This article is on the carfree 42nd Street proposal I reported on last month. The figures on
      the increase in pedestrian traffic are remarkable.

      http://www.nypress.com/18/23/pagetwo/newshole2.cfm

      "Between 1982 and 2003, pedestrian traffic increased nearly five-fold. With new office and
      residential buildings going up all over midtown, conditions are only going to grow more
      claustrophobic in coming years. Employees who work in and around Times Square
      overwhelmingly cite "congestion" as the number-one reason why they would consider
      working somewhere else. [President of the Times Square Alliance Tim] Tompkins calls it
      'pedlock.'"

      "The solution for 'pedlock' is clear. Stop dedicating so much of Times Square's valuable
      public real estate to cars and trucks."