Stirling engines powered by waste methane from coal mines

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2005
      Hi,

      Can someone direct me to some good
      objective-as-possible infosources (websites,
      listserves) where i can find out about and get
      opinions on the idea and/or previous examples of
      Stirling engines powered by waste methane from coal
      mines? And give me your own opinions, of course. I
      realise other renewable sources like solar can get a
      Stirling engine all hot (and cold) and bothered but I
      think burning methane just venting out as waste from
      coal mines might be a better solution in not the
      windiest and not the sunniest central europe.

      See:
      <http://www.climatecare.org/projects/view.cfm?content_id=87A68373-A30B-62C4-00C941D51A464478>

      What is main reason Stirling has not become popular
      again? I realise there are new versions in Swedish
      submarine
      <www.kockums.se/Products/kockumsstirlingm.html>, and
      that another company is planning a huge solar powered
      Stirling system in Arizona <www.stirlingenergy.com>

      The specific application would be motive power for a
      rebuilt regional train - as many as 100 - on a
      non-electrified corridor, possibly using
      supercapacitors and/or hybrid system. The current plan
      is just for new diesel engines to be installed, so I
      am concerned about oil price rises making ticket
      prices go up. I dont know if Stirling would/should be
      stationary (and generate electricity) or on train (and
      use onboard methane to run an onboard Stirling.. or a
      modified internal combustion engine, leaving Stirling
      out of it)... you tell me.

      The goal is not to replace any power source on a
      worldwide scale but to use locally available fuel
      sources for local applications. The regional train
      would also be (partly) owned by regional entities. The
      methane coming from source of very dirty power (coal
      mines) in the same region adds a symbolic element
      beyond the practical one. I am in touch with all these
      people, too. (The director of the company that is
      rebuilding the regional trains is also chairman of CZ
      industry assoc. that officially supports "On the
      Train" AND someone from a private rail company that
      transports alot of coal is an "unofficial advisor" and
      his company runs their own regional train!.

      So, what I am getting at is that if the info I get
      helps create a workable scenario it could be applied,
      and perhaps soon!

      Todd

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2005
        Hi All,

        Errrrrr, Todd wanted a long discussion on this topic.
        I consider it pretty far off-topic and would prefer that
        replies to this question be direct to Todd, OFF LIST.

        Thanks!