Re: [carfree_cities] FW: [Tr2000] Bombardier puts the brakes on N.A. high-speed train plans

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
      On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Todd Edelman wrote:

      > Dont get relaxed about the Russians, however, they
      > made the regional DMU at the following link for the
      > Hungarians and Czech railways. Get this, folks: It has
      > a barrierfree toilet but way to get up those steps:
      > http://www.cd.cz/static/old/NEW/TCD2005/5_8motor.htm

      Wow, the floor of that unit must be four feet above grade. In what decade
      was it built, and what in the world is crammed underneath?

      As for the toilet, hey, anyone who can climb into that car will find any
      toilet facility ever designed easy to use. The rest of us can look for
      restrooms while we walk or wheel to our destinations.

      -Doug

      ==================
      Doug Salzmann
      P.O. Box 1007
      Larkspur, CA 94977
    • Todd Edelman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
        TODD:
        Dont get relaxed about the Russians, however, they
        > > made the regional DMU at the following link for
        > the
        > > Hungarians and Czech railways. Get this, folks: It
        > has
        > > a barrierfree toilet but way to get up those
        > steps:
        > >
        > http://www.cd.cz/static/old/NEW/TCD2005/5_8motor.htm

        DOUG: Wow, the floor of that unit must be four feet
        above
        > grade. In what decade
        > was it built, and what in the world is crammed
        > underneath?

        TODD: The railcar is built by Metrowagonmas(h) and is
        a modification of a very recent metro car, which
        explains the above rail height. It is a very long
        story, but was sold (at discount?) to MAV (Hungarian
        railways) (and just one I think to Czechs) as part of
        debt repayment from Russian government. But also
        involves some possible corruption or just stupid deals
        with ex director of CD (Czech Railways). The MAV-owned
        trains are also mostly falling apart, with Russian
        crews trying to fix them.

        That article from CD newspaper also mentions that
        traincar has two spaces for wheelchairs, but not why
        this is kind of a non-issue! BUT dont give up hope,
        boys and girls, as the "On the Train" project has a
        subprogramme to promote a rebuilt-with-a-low-floor
        regional train, a GOOD programme of CD, that two car
        DMU (articulated railbus?) that I already mentioned in
        another post and am about to mention again in a new
        one, maybe.

        Todd