Re: [carfree_cities] FW: [Tr2000] Bombardier puts the brakes on N.A. high-speed train plans

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
      HI,

      It will be pretty funny if in a few years people from
      the Western USA fly to D.F or Guadalajara to do "high
      speed rail" tourism. Maybe the airlines wont realise
      they are working against themselves ;-)

      Probably many or most of the people who voted against
      Florida HSR never rode a proper train before.

      Russia, yes, but dont forget your regional railways!
      This is where the biggest difference can be made.

      HSR services of a few hundred kms or less tend to
      eliminate air services, but good regional and
      surburban services defeat the car....

      Dont get relaxed about the Russians, however, they
      made the regional DMU at the following link for the
      Hungarians and Czech railways. Get this, folks: It has
      a barrierfree toilet but way to get up those steps:
      http://www.cd.cz/static/old/NEW/TCD2005/5_8motor.htm

      Russia to Join the 300 Club
      Siemens and RZD Build 300 km/h Trains

      Siemens and Russian RZD yesteday (11 April) signed a
      €1,5bn contract for building 60 high-speed trains in
      Russia. The first will be delivered in 2007. They will
      be based on the German ICE3/Velaro train and reach 300
      km/h. They will run on 1524mm track gauge, compared to
      the 1435mm gauge used in most of Europe. See also
      Reuters story in German, FAZ article in German, Ny
      Teknik article in Swedish, and Velaro pages at Siemens
      and Hochgeschwindigkeitszuege.com.

      Moscow - St Petersburg ICE Deal Imminent

      A train trip from Moscow to St Petersburg in 2008 will
      take three hours at 250 km/h. Russian Railways (RZD)
      and Siemens expect to strike a $2bn deal as early as
      April. Sixty trains are to be purchased for $26m each.
      Currently, the fastest train between St. Petersburg
      and Moscow takes four and a half hours. A
      made-in-Russia train, the Sokol, was built at the
      Transmash plant in the Leningrad region and was to
      enter service in 2002, but the project was abandoned.
      • A $16m deal was signed in March between RZD,
      Transmash and Bombardier to produce twelve
      dual-voltage passenger locomotives type EP10 by 2006.
      See also usenet discussion. archive (April 3rd, thanks
      Dave Peilow)

      Todd

    • Doug Salzmann
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
        On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Todd Edelman wrote:

        > Dont get relaxed about the Russians, however, they
        > made the regional DMU at the following link for the
        > Hungarians and Czech railways. Get this, folks: It has
        > a barrierfree toilet but way to get up those steps:
        > http://www.cd.cz/static/old/NEW/TCD2005/5_8motor.htm

        Wow, the floor of that unit must be four feet above grade. In what decade
        was it built, and what in the world is crammed underneath?

        As for the toilet, hey, anyone who can climb into that car will find any
        toilet facility ever designed easy to use. The rest of us can look for
        restrooms while we walk or wheel to our destinations.

        -Doug

        ==================
        Doug Salzmann
        P.O. Box 1007
        Larkspur, CA 94977
      • Todd Edelman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
          TODD:
          Dont get relaxed about the Russians, however, they
          > > made the regional DMU at the following link for
          > the
          > > Hungarians and Czech railways. Get this, folks: It
          > has
          > > a barrierfree toilet but way to get up those
          > steps:
          > >
          > http://www.cd.cz/static/old/NEW/TCD2005/5_8motor.htm

          DOUG: Wow, the floor of that unit must be four feet
          above
          > grade. In what decade
          > was it built, and what in the world is crammed
          > underneath?

          TODD: The railcar is built by Metrowagonmas(h) and is
          a modification of a very recent metro car, which
          explains the above rail height. It is a very long
          story, but was sold (at discount?) to MAV (Hungarian
          railways) (and just one I think to Czechs) as part of
          debt repayment from Russian government. But also
          involves some possible corruption or just stupid deals
          with ex director of CD (Czech Railways). The MAV-owned
          trains are also mostly falling apart, with Russian
          crews trying to fix them.

          That article from CD newspaper also mentions that
          traincar has two spaces for wheelchairs, but not why
          this is kind of a non-issue! BUT dont give up hope,
          boys and girls, as the "On the Train" project has a
          subprogramme to promote a rebuilt-with-a-low-floor
          regional train, a GOOD programme of CD, that two car
          DMU (articulated railbus?) that I already mentioned in
          another post and am about to mention again in a new
          one, maybe.

          Todd