Re: [carfree_cities] FW: [Tr2000] Bombardier puts the brakes on N.A. high-speed train plans

  • Andrew Dawson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
      I wouldn't be surprised if the Mexicans would have true high speed rail
      before the USA or Canada, even the Chinese and the Russians are further
      ahead than us. I guess the governments of those of us living north of the
      Mexican boarder are just too lazy and stupid to know any better.

      Till later, Andrew Dawson

      Todd Edelman wrote:
      >Following this, some possibilities for American HSR,
      >or, rather, HSR in the Americas! (I realise that
      >Mexico has almost no passenger services now and that
      >this line will need to be coordinated with bus
      >services in order to serve people in between the
      >cities... as there are only two intermdediate stops
      >planned....)
      >

      >High speed to Guadalajara
      >
      >http://www.railwaygazette.com/2005/056-nws2.asp
      >
      >PROPOSALS to develop a network of high speed passenger
      >railways in Mexico moved forward at the end of April,
      >when the Ministry of Communications & Transport
      >appointed Systra to assist with drawing up tenders for
      >the first route.
      >
      >The Mexican government has been developing its
      >strategy since 2002, and expects to launch a
      >competition in mid-2005 for construction of a 300km/h
      >line between Mexico City and Guadalajara. With
      >intermediate stations serving Quer�taro and Irapuato,
      >the route would serve a catchment area with around 28
      >million inhabitants. The aim is to cut the journey
      >time between the two cities to 2h.
      >
      >Systra is being supported by a local firm providing
      >legal assistance, and by Sintra SA de CV on technology
      >transfer and integration issues. In the second phase
      >of the project, Systra will assist the ministry with
      >drawing up contracts and concession documents covering
      >design, construction and operation of the double-track
      >line.
    • Todd Edelman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
        HI,

        It will be pretty funny if in a few years people from
        the Western USA fly to D.F or Guadalajara to do "high
        speed rail" tourism. Maybe the airlines wont realise
        they are working against themselves ;-)

        Probably many or most of the people who voted against
        Florida HSR never rode a proper train before.

        Russia, yes, but dont forget your regional railways!
        This is where the biggest difference can be made.

        HSR services of a few hundred kms or less tend to
        eliminate air services, but good regional and
        surburban services defeat the car....

        Dont get relaxed about the Russians, however, they
        made the regional DMU at the following link for the
        Hungarians and Czech railways. Get this, folks: It has
        a barrierfree toilet but way to get up those steps:
        http://www.cd.cz/static/old/NEW/TCD2005/5_8motor.htm

        Russia to Join the 300 Club
        Siemens and RZD Build 300 km/h Trains

        Siemens and Russian RZD yesteday (11 April) signed a
        €1,5bn contract for building 60 high-speed trains in
        Russia. The first will be delivered in 2007. They will
        be based on the German ICE3/Velaro train and reach 300
        km/h. They will run on 1524mm track gauge, compared to
        the 1435mm gauge used in most of Europe. See also
        Reuters story in German, FAZ article in German, Ny
        Teknik article in Swedish, and Velaro pages at Siemens
        and Hochgeschwindigkeitszuege.com.

        Moscow - St Petersburg ICE Deal Imminent

        A train trip from Moscow to St Petersburg in 2008 will
        take three hours at 250 km/h. Russian Railways (RZD)
        and Siemens expect to strike a $2bn deal as early as
        April. Sixty trains are to be purchased for $26m each.
        Currently, the fastest train between St. Petersburg
        and Moscow takes four and a half hours. A
        made-in-Russia train, the Sokol, was built at the
        Transmash plant in the Leningrad region and was to
        enter service in 2002, but the project was abandoned.
        • A $16m deal was signed in March between RZD,
        Transmash and Bombardier to produce twelve
        dual-voltage passenger locomotives type EP10 by 2006.
        See also usenet discussion. archive (April 3rd, thanks
        Dave Peilow)

        Todd

      • Doug Salzmann
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
          On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Todd Edelman wrote:

          > Dont get relaxed about the Russians, however, they
          > made the regional DMU at the following link for the
          > Hungarians and Czech railways. Get this, folks: It has
          > a barrierfree toilet but way to get up those steps:
          > http://www.cd.cz/static/old/NEW/TCD2005/5_8motor.htm

          Wow, the floor of that unit must be four feet above grade. In what decade
          was it built, and what in the world is crammed underneath?

          As for the toilet, hey, anyone who can climb into that car will find any
          toilet facility ever designed easy to use. The rest of us can look for
          restrooms while we walk or wheel to our destinations.

          -Doug

          ==================
          Doug Salzmann
          P.O. Box 1007
          Larkspur, CA 94977
        • Todd Edelman
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
            TODD:
            Dont get relaxed about the Russians, however, they
            > > made the regional DMU at the following link for
            > the
            > > Hungarians and Czech railways. Get this, folks: It
            > has
            > > a barrierfree toilet but way to get up those
            > steps:
            > >
            > http://www.cd.cz/static/old/NEW/TCD2005/5_8motor.htm

            DOUG: Wow, the floor of that unit must be four feet
            above
            > grade. In what decade
            > was it built, and what in the world is crammed
            > underneath?

            TODD: The railcar is built by Metrowagonmas(h) and is
            a modification of a very recent metro car, which
            explains the above rail height. It is a very long
            story, but was sold (at discount?) to MAV (Hungarian
            railways) (and just one I think to Czechs) as part of
            debt repayment from Russian government. But also
            involves some possible corruption or just stupid deals
            with ex director of CD (Czech Railways). The MAV-owned
            trains are also mostly falling apart, with Russian
            crews trying to fix them.

            That article from CD newspaper also mentions that
            traincar has two spaces for wheelchairs, but not why
            this is kind of a non-issue! BUT dont give up hope,
            boys and girls, as the "On the Train" project has a
            subprogramme to promote a rebuilt-with-a-low-floor
            regional train, a GOOD programme of CD, that two car
            DMU (articulated railbus?) that I already mentioned in
            another post and am about to mention again in a new
            one, maybe.

            Todd