Re: [carfree_cities] FW: [Tr2000] Bombardier puts the brakes on N.A. high-speed train plans

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
      Following this, some possibilities for American HSR,
      or, rather, HSR in the Americas! (I realise that
      Mexico has almost no passenger services now and that
      this line will need to be coordinated with bus
      services in order to serve people in between the
      cities... as there are only two intermdediate stops
      planned....)

      High speed to Guadalajara

      http://www.railwaygazette.com/2005/056-nws2.asp

      PROPOSALS to develop a network of high speed passenger
      railways in Mexico moved forward at the end of April,
      when the Ministry of Communications & Transport
      appointed Systra to assist with drawing up tenders for
      the first route.

      The Mexican government has been developing its
      strategy since 2002, and expects to launch a
      competition in mid-2005 for construction of a 300km/h
      line between Mexico City and Guadalajara. With
      intermediate stations serving Querétaro and Irapuato,
      the route would serve a catchment area with around 28
      million inhabitants. The aim is to cut the journey
      time between the two cities to 2h.

      Systra is being supported by a local firm providing
      legal assistance, and by Sintra SA de CV on technology
      transfer and integration issues. In the second phase
      of the project, Systra will assist the ministry with
      drawing up contracts and concession documents covering
      design, construction and operation of the double-track
      line.

    • Andrew Dawson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
        I wouldn't be surprised if the Mexicans would have true high speed rail
        before the USA or Canada, even the Chinese and the Russians are further
        ahead than us. I guess the governments of those of us living north of the
        Mexican boarder are just too lazy and stupid to know any better.

        Till later, Andrew Dawson

        Todd Edelman wrote:
        >Following this, some possibilities for American HSR,
        >or, rather, HSR in the Americas! (I realise that
        >Mexico has almost no passenger services now and that
        >this line will need to be coordinated with bus
        >services in order to serve people in between the
        >cities... as there are only two intermdediate stops
        >planned....)
        >

        >High speed to Guadalajara
        >
        >http://www.railwaygazette.com/2005/056-nws2.asp
        >
        >PROPOSALS to develop a network of high speed passenger
        >railways in Mexico moved forward at the end of April,
        >when the Ministry of Communications & Transport
        >appointed Systra to assist with drawing up tenders for
        >the first route.
        >
        >The Mexican government has been developing its
        >strategy since 2002, and expects to launch a
        >competition in mid-2005 for construction of a 300km/h
        >line between Mexico City and Guadalajara. With
        >intermediate stations serving Quer�taro and Irapuato,
        >the route would serve a catchment area with around 28
        >million inhabitants. The aim is to cut the journey
        >time between the two cities to 2h.
        >
        >Systra is being supported by a local firm providing
        >legal assistance, and by Sintra SA de CV on technology
        >transfer and integration issues. In the second phase
        >of the project, Systra will assist the ministry with
        >drawing up contracts and concession documents covering
        >design, construction and operation of the double-track
        >line.
      • Todd Edelman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
          HI,

          It will be pretty funny if in a few years people from
          the Western USA fly to D.F or Guadalajara to do "high
          speed rail" tourism. Maybe the airlines wont realise
          they are working against themselves ;-)

          Probably many or most of the people who voted against
          Florida HSR never rode a proper train before.

          Russia, yes, but dont forget your regional railways!
          This is where the biggest difference can be made.

          HSR services of a few hundred kms or less tend to
          eliminate air services, but good regional and
          surburban services defeat the car....

          Dont get relaxed about the Russians, however, they
          made the regional DMU at the following link for the
          Hungarians and Czech railways. Get this, folks: It has
          a barrierfree toilet but way to get up those steps:
          http://www.cd.cz/static/old/NEW/TCD2005/5_8motor.htm

          Russia to Join the 300 Club
          Siemens and RZD Build 300 km/h Trains

          Siemens and Russian RZD yesteday (11 April) signed a
          €1,5bn contract for building 60 high-speed trains in
          Russia. The first will be delivered in 2007. They will
          be based on the German ICE3/Velaro train and reach 300
          km/h. They will run on 1524mm track gauge, compared to
          the 1435mm gauge used in most of Europe. See also
          Reuters story in German, FAZ article in German, Ny
          Teknik article in Swedish, and Velaro pages at Siemens
          and Hochgeschwindigkeitszuege.com.

          Moscow - St Petersburg ICE Deal Imminent

          A train trip from Moscow to St Petersburg in 2008 will
          take three hours at 250 km/h. Russian Railways (RZD)
          and Siemens expect to strike a $2bn deal as early as
          April. Sixty trains are to be purchased for $26m each.
          Currently, the fastest train between St. Petersburg
          and Moscow takes four and a half hours. A
          made-in-Russia train, the Sokol, was built at the
          Transmash plant in the Leningrad region and was to
          enter service in 2002, but the project was abandoned.
          • A $16m deal was signed in March between RZD,
          Transmash and Bombardier to produce twelve
          dual-voltage passenger locomotives type EP10 by 2006.
          See also usenet discussion. archive (April 3rd, thanks
          Dave Peilow)

          Todd

        • Doug Salzmann
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
            On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Todd Edelman wrote:

            > Dont get relaxed about the Russians, however, they
            > made the regional DMU at the following link for the
            > Hungarians and Czech railways. Get this, folks: It has
            > a barrierfree toilet but way to get up those steps:
            > http://www.cd.cz/static/old/NEW/TCD2005/5_8motor.htm

            Wow, the floor of that unit must be four feet above grade. In what decade
            was it built, and what in the world is crammed underneath?

            As for the toilet, hey, anyone who can climb into that car will find any
            toilet facility ever designed easy to use. The rest of us can look for
            restrooms while we walk or wheel to our destinations.

            -Doug

            ==================
            Doug Salzmann
            P.O. Box 1007
            Larkspur, CA 94977
          • Todd Edelman
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
              TODD:
              Dont get relaxed about the Russians, however, they
              > > made the regional DMU at the following link for
              > the
              > > Hungarians and Czech railways. Get this, folks: It
              > has
              > > a barrierfree toilet but way to get up those
              > steps:
              > >
              > http://www.cd.cz/static/old/NEW/TCD2005/5_8motor.htm

              DOUG: Wow, the floor of that unit must be four feet
              above
              > grade. In what decade
              > was it built, and what in the world is crammed
              > underneath?

              TODD: The railcar is built by Metrowagonmas(h) and is
              a modification of a very recent metro car, which
              explains the above rail height. It is a very long
              story, but was sold (at discount?) to MAV (Hungarian
              railways) (and just one I think to Czechs) as part of
              debt repayment from Russian government. But also
              involves some possible corruption or just stupid deals
              with ex director of CD (Czech Railways). The MAV-owned
              trains are also mostly falling apart, with Russian
              crews trying to fix them.

              That article from CD newspaper also mentions that
              traincar has two spaces for wheelchairs, but not why
              this is kind of a non-issue! BUT dont give up hope,
              boys and girls, as the "On the Train" project has a
              subprogramme to promote a rebuilt-with-a-low-floor
              regional train, a GOOD programme of CD, that two car
              DMU (articulated railbus?) that I already mentioned in
              another post and am about to mention again in a new
              one, maybe.

              Todd