Re: [carfree_cities] Rail & Rubber

    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 3, 2005
      Todd said:

      >Related to this discussion of the supercapacitor-tram,
      >it would not be a possible scheme for shorter distance
      >regional trains (typical European "railbuses" )
      >running on non-electrifried corridors as station
      >distances would be too great, right? From 2 to 5km, I
      >think.
      >
      >Or would this be solved in a hybrid, where an engine
      >of some sort would take over as necessary?

      I wouldn't necessarily rule out the use of capacitors
      for these uses. Development seems to be on-going, and
      the biggest shot of energy needed is to accelerate
      the vehicle out of the station and up to cruising
      speed. Maintaining the speed of a train doesn't take
      very much energy (due, of course, to its high efficiency!),
      and the capacitors are most efficient when the loads are
      light. So, I think it could be feasible for local train
      service as well.

      Regards,