Re: [carfree_cities] Rail & Rubber

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 3, 2005
      Hi,

      Related to this discussion of the supercapacitor-tram,
      it would not be a possible scheme for shorter distance
      regional trains (typical European "railbuses" )
      running on non-electrifried corridors as station
      distances would be too great, right? From 2 to 5km, I
      think.

      Or would this be solved in a hybrid, where an engine
      of some sort would take over as necessary?

      ----

      Also related: For "On the Train to the Future!"
      project I am proposing a reconstructed railbus which
      could be powered by one of various "alternative fuels"
      which would also be "distributed sources": local and
      renewable things like individual windmills, biogas
      from waste or factories, etc. It could be done in
      conjunction with European Commission DG Research
      funded programme "EU Deep" www.eu-deep.com (one of the
      partners also makes the engines for a railbus renewal
      scheme here in Czechia,so MAYBE I am "half way
      there"!!)

      If anyone can look at the summary of the proposal, let
      me know off-list. I might have to send it as an
      attachment.

      Todd, Prague

      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 3, 2005
        Todd said:

        >Related to this discussion of the supercapacitor-tram,
        >it would not be a possible scheme for shorter distance
        >regional trains (typical European "railbuses" )
        >running on non-electrifried corridors as station
        >distances would be too great, right? From 2 to 5km, I
        >think.
        >
        >Or would this be solved in a hybrid, where an engine
        >of some sort would take over as necessary?

        I wouldn't necessarily rule out the use of capacitors
        for these uses. Development seems to be on-going, and
        the biggest shot of energy needed is to accelerate
        the vehicle out of the station and up to cruising
        speed. Maintaining the speed of a train doesn't take
        very much energy (due, of course, to its high efficiency!),
        and the capacitors are most efficient when the loads are
        light. So, I think it could be feasible for local train
        service as well.

        Regards,