Re: [carfree_cities] Transport Policy? An Explanation for

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2005
      I disagree about the noise of trains being as noxious as that of
      automobiles. What I find so noxious about freeway noise is the almost
      constant "tearing" roar of tyres on asphalt on all sides of a road as it
      "rips" through great swathes of land blighting it it with a constant low key
      roar audible for miles. The railway train is noisy at the time it passes but
      the sound is intermittent and not unrelenting. After a train passes through
      a rural valley the restoration of serenity is almost palpable.

      One can set one's watch by some regular trains and there is something rather
      special about the sound of a train horn in the night. Yes it must be rough
      if the track of a city rail system passes right by your apartment window -
      and this is a classic signal of the impoverished city apartment shaking from
      floor to ceiling as the train goes by.

      Simon