Re: free? parking

  • Chris Radcliff
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2005
      The profusion of subsidized parking is an excellent point, and
      removing it would almost certainly affect transit usage. From my
      experience, the one thing that gets San Diegans out of their cars --
      whether they're Greens going to Earth Day or NASCAR dads going to a
      Padres game -- is inconvenient parking.

      The Coaster (commuter rail) and Trolley (downtown light rail) are both
      packed to the gills on Padres game nights because the new stadium is
      a parking nightmare. Of course, it helps that both the Coaster and
      Trolley are an order of magnitude more pleasant pre-game experiences
      than an hour of sitting in traffic, but I still hear talk of that
      parking nightmare more often than any other reason. I think that
      encourages people to re-make the choice each time.

      I'm not sure what the parking-space regulations are right now, but
      it's a safe bet that developers (a powerful lobby in this town) would
      love to be rid of the burden. Hmmm...

      In a follow-up to my earlier message, my wife (the driver in the
      house) informed me that 20mph is about the slowest she can drive for
      extended periods. Does anyone else have anecdotal evidence to support
      that? I know it's the wrong list to ask, but perhaps there are a few
      recovered drivers out there. ;)

      Cheers,
      ~chris

      ps- To answer a previous quip, San Diego is actually Saint Didacus of
      Alcalá. He doesn't seem to be the patron saint of anything, which
      fits this city well.