free? parking

  • Debra Efroymson
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2005
      For those interested in the parking aspect--and
      apparently the average car spends 95% of its life
      parked, and thus occupies more space parked than
      moving--Donald Shoup's new book The High Cost of Free
      Parking is a useful tome (700+ pp!) with lots of
      information...free parking probably the largest
      subsidy in the US...free parking means that drivers
      park free and everyone else pays; parking is free but
      the price of everything else goes up to compensate,
      etc. There are many reasons why free parking, and
      zoning for outrageously high parking requirements (the
      PEAK demand for FREE parking in SUBURBIA with NO
      transit is used as the standard for MINIMUM parking)
      is "anti-American", unjust, etc. Shoup is friendlier
      to the car than we would like but by doing so perhaps
      he will alienate fewer of his readers... Anyway, I
      found it extremely useful and am preparing a summary
      so we can counter the Bangladesh government's plan to
      issue rules on parking which, no doubt, will try to go
      in the wrong direction of demanding that commercial
      enterprises supply free parking.
      Anima

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Chris Radcliff
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2005
        The profusion of subsidized parking is an excellent point, and
        removing it would almost certainly affect transit usage. From my
        experience, the one thing that gets San Diegans out of their cars --
        whether they're Greens going to Earth Day or NASCAR dads going to a
        Padres game -- is inconvenient parking.

        The Coaster (commuter rail) and Trolley (downtown light rail) are both
        packed to the gills on Padres game nights because the new stadium is
        a parking nightmare. Of course, it helps that both the Coaster and
        Trolley are an order of magnitude more pleasant pre-game experiences
        than an hour of sitting in traffic, but I still hear talk of that
        parking nightmare more often than any other reason. I think that
        encourages people to re-make the choice each time.

        I'm not sure what the parking-space regulations are right now, but
        it's a safe bet that developers (a powerful lobby in this town) would
        love to be rid of the burden. Hmmm...

        In a follow-up to my earlier message, my wife (the driver in the
        house) informed me that 20mph is about the slowest she can drive for
        extended periods. Does anyone else have anecdotal evidence to support
        that? I know it's the wrong list to ask, but perhaps there are a few
        recovered drivers out there. ;)

        Cheers,
        ~chris

        ps- To answer a previous quip, San Diego is actually Saint Didacus of
        Alcalá. He doesn't seem to be the patron saint of anything, which
        fits this city well.