Re: [carfree_cities] Carfree development in Persian Gulf to open soon

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2005
      There is a lot of "sustainable development stuff"
      happening in the Middle East now, from expanding rail
      routes (more than 1000 km of new track I think), to
      new trams in Iran, to things like what Erik mentions.
      Velotaxi even operates there, I think also in Dubai...
      and over in South Asia new bus and a little later
      train routes are re-opening between India and
      Pakistan....

      I guess some of this can be classified under: "Youre
      tell US that the oil is running out?" ;-)

      - Todd
      --- erik_rauch <erauch@...> wrote:
      > I posted on this carfree development in Dubai some
      > months ago, but this article
      > shows that it is going to be extremely large.
      > According to it, the projected population
      > of this first segment is 10,000 to 12,000, and there
      > are several more planned. (This is
      > the "Australia" portion of an artificial archipelago
      > of islands to be shaped like a world
      > map.) The expense limits it to the wealthy. (The
      > article uses the word "elitist",
      > apparently not pejoratively.)
      >
      > "It will be the Middle East's first car-free
      > destination. Travelling around the
      > destination will either be by inter-island ferries
      > or via an extensive network of
      > seamlessly, inter-linked walkways."
      >
      > http://www.ameinfo.com/59084.html

      > carfree_cities@...
      > Group address:
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Colin Leath
      Message 2 of 9 , May 16, 2005
        I just put a page up about this with better links at:
        http://carfreeuniverse.org/Members/colin/oqyana/

        the main links are:
        http://www.theworld.ae/
        and
        http://www.thepalm.ae/

        Colin
      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 9 , May 17, 2005
          I have more than grave reservations. This project is similar to a larger
          scale version of the cycle routes that have laid down on old paths including
          abandoned railways in, for instance The Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire in
          England. This is an undoubtedly beautiful area once famous for forestry and
          coal mining. As part of its economic recovery much investment has gone into
          attracting new visitors but as even the local council for the area have
          admitted the increase in walkers and cyclists has increased the net volume
          of car journeys to the area's extensive range of newly laid out and
          tastefully landscaped carparks. The introduction of the cycling facilities
          marked a substantial jump in the numbers of cars coming to and from the
          area. Some of these paths are old railways and although there is a Heritage
          Railway that starts close to an ill-served mainline station at Lydney, it
          does not welcome bicycles or expect to carry people coming from the Lydney
          or two other more distant rail stations separated from the Forest by busy
          roads and infrequent buses. There is minimal encouragement, with the
          exception of one short stretch of cycle route near Coleford, to promote the
          Forest cycle routes as routes from A to B. They are circuits from A to A, or
          rather carpark back to carpark, or in the case of this development, airport
          and back to airport - with a short ferry from the mainland - with all the
          consequences in increased air travel.

          Dubai began a major expansion of its airport in 1997, opening the Sheikh
          Rashid Terminal in 2000, and a second phase of airport expansion is
          underway. This includes the construction of a third terminal, two more
          concourses and an expanded cargo terminal. Right now this airport can handle
          22 million passengers a year. Dubai's tourism representatives claim that by
          2008, the airport will be able to handle over 70 million passengers
          annually. This is not a development we should celebrate - shipping well-off
          people massive distances by unsustainable transport so they can walk. At
          least you can get to Venice by train or ship!

          We will see more and more of these havens being constructed so that the
          rich, while blighting the cities of their homelands with their environmental
          fecklessness, can escape the consequences of their political
          irresponsibility. In this case they are almost literally putting their heads
          in the sand and paying good money for the privilege to lie on crime free
          beaches, and the more they mess up the rest of the world the more popular
          such havens will be.

          This kind of thing has been a winning formula for quite a while. So far as I
          can see the one good thing is that unlike many island "sanctuaries" in the
          Caribbean and Pacific and other seas, the money drawn in by these
          developments will stay in Dubai form local circulation instead of simply
          being leached back to mainland shareholders at the expense of indigenous
          populations.

          The emphasis of carfree cities is upon analysing and understanding the ways
          we humans damage and destroy the sites of our economic activities and then,
          in the words of Herodotus, move on "leaving deserts in our wake". The
          emphasis of carfree cities is to use our analyses of the collateral harm we
          do while enriching ourselves, to invent sustainable ways to prosper. This is
          the most vital task we face on this globe and no human who has not engaged
          in it, through inventive thinking about externals but also through greater
          self knowledge, can justify their sojourn here. The emphasis of carfree
          cities is to find ways to rediscover and restore the civilisation of cities,
          reducing their ecological footprints, drawing on human creativity and
          technical talent. Carfree cities is a global conversation about making where
          we are, a place we desire to live and work, questioning the delving and
          hewing to which we humans are so attracted and about of whose consequences
          the poet Gerard Manley Hopkins wrote " ... even where we mean, to mend her
          we end her, when we hew or delve. After-comers cannot guess the beauty
          been."

          Simon

          On 17/5/05 1:41 am, "Colin Leath" <cleath@...> wrote:

          > I just put a page up about this with better links at:
          > http://carfreeuniverse.org/Members/colin/oqyana/
          >
          > the main links are:
          > http://www.theworld.ae/
          > and
          > http://www.thepalm.ae/
          >
          > Colin

        • Debra Efroymson
          Message 4 of 9 , May 17, 2005
            Greetings. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good
            website, or has photos they can send me, of groups of
            people cycling--preferably commuters. I am trying to
            put together a slideshow with pictures of cycling from
            around the world, to show that cycling is a common
            form of transport...but most of the photos I'm finding
            are picturesque or of single, tourist cyclists, which
            doesn't quite get the point across.

            Many thanks for your help. We will use the slideshow
            at the introduction of our upcoming seminar (on the
            23rd) campaigning for a reduction/cancellation of the
            bicycle tariff here in Bangladesh.

            Anima (anima1205@...)

            Yahoo! Mail
          • Patrick J McDonough
            Message 5 of 9 , May 17, 2005
              www.pedbikeimages.org

              On Tue, 17 May 2005, Debra Efroymson wrote:

              > Greetings. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good
              > website, or has photos they can send me, of groups of
              > people cycling--preferably commuters. I am trying to
              > put together a slideshow with pictures of cycling from
              > around the world, to show that cycling is a common
              > form of transport...but most of the photos I'm finding
              > are picturesque or of single, tourist cyclists, which
              > doesn't quite get the point across.
              >
              > Many thanks for your help. We will use the slideshow
              > at the introduction of our upcoming seminar (on the
              > 23rd) campaigning for a reduction/cancellation of the
              > bicycle tariff here in Bangladesh.
              >
              > Anima (anima1205@...)
              >

              > Yahoo! Mail

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Markus Heller
              Message 6 of 9 , May 18, 2005
                Hi Debra,
                more photos from world`s largest bicycle demonstration in Berlin (*Fahrradsternfahrt*):
                - www.adfc-berlin.de/sternfahrt.cm
                - www.fahrradsternfahrt.de (contains links to more private photo websites)
                - www.european-bike-day.com (english, but still under construction ?)
                - last year we had 250,000 ciclysts, and the newspapers titled *better don`t drive in town with car* ...
                - next *Fahrradsternfahrt* is Sunday, June 5, 2005
                - contact to organizers (copyrights ?): Alex Hunger, Benno Koch www.adfc-berlin.de (Berlin section of Germany`s largest bicycle club)

                a similar event will be held in Hamburg:
                - www.fahrradsternfahrt-hamburg.de
                - contact there is Udo Schuldt (> www.AG2100.de) from carfree living! club (www.autofrei.de)

                Markus Heller, Berlin section
                Carfree Living Berlin Collaborative
                www.autofrei-wohnen.de/homeEngl.html
                On Tue, 17 May 2005, Debra Efroymson wrote:

                > Greetings. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good
                > website, or has photos they can send me, of groups of
                > people cycling--preferably commuters. I am trying to
                > put together a slideshow with pictures of cycling from
                > around the world, to show that cycling is a common
                > form of transport...but most of the photos I'm finding
                > are picturesque or of single, tourist cyclists, which
                > doesn't quite get the point across.
                >
                > Many thanks for your help. We will use the slideshow
                > at the introduction of our upcoming seminar (on the
                > 23rd) campaigning for a reduction/cancellation of the
                > bicycle tariff here in Bangladesh.
                >
                > Anima (anima1205@...)

              • Debra Efroymson
                Message 7 of 9 , May 21, 2005
                  Thanks, Markus! I just wish my German was better.
                  :-)
                  Anima

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 21, 2005
                    Hi All,

                    The following post appeared on the list today. It's
                    an example of something we've been seeing too much of
                    lately, which is replies in which the original post
                    has not been trimmed back to just the relevant bits.
                    Please, everyone, it takes only a moment to do this
                    and saves everyone (all 474 of us) time.

                    Thanks,

                    original posting: