Carfree development in Persian Gulf to open soon

  • erik_rauch
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2005
      I posted on this carfree development in Dubai some months ago, but this article
      shows that it is going to be extremely large. According to it, the projected population
      of this first segment is 10,000 to 12,000, and there are several more planned. (This is
      the "Australia" portion of an artificial archipelago of islands to be shaped like a world
      map.) The expense limits it to the wealthy. (The article uses the word "elitist",
      apparently not pejoratively.)

      "It will be the Middle East's first car-free destination. Travelling around the
      destination will either be by inter-island ferries or via an extensive network of
      seamlessly, inter-linked walkways."

      http://www.ameinfo.com/59084.html
    • Todd Edelman
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2005
        There is a lot of "sustainable development stuff"
        happening in the Middle East now, from expanding rail
        routes (more than 1000 km of new track I think), to
        new trams in Iran, to things like what Erik mentions.
        Velotaxi even operates there, I think also in Dubai...
        and over in South Asia new bus and a little later
        train routes are re-opening between India and
        Pakistan....

        I guess some of this can be classified under: "Youre
        tell US that the oil is running out?" ;-)

        - Todd
        --- erik_rauch <erauch@...> wrote:
        > I posted on this carfree development in Dubai some
        > months ago, but this article
        > shows that it is going to be extremely large.
        > According to it, the projected population
        > of this first segment is 10,000 to 12,000, and there
        > are several more planned. (This is
        > the "Australia" portion of an artificial archipelago
        > of islands to be shaped like a world
        > map.) The expense limits it to the wealthy. (The
        > article uses the word "elitist",
        > apparently not pejoratively.)
        >
        > "It will be the Middle East's first car-free
        > destination. Travelling around the
        > destination will either be by inter-island ferries
        > or via an extensive network of
        > seamlessly, inter-linked walkways."
        >
        > http://www.ameinfo.com/59084.html

        > carfree_cities@...
        > Group address:
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Colin Leath
        Message 3 of 9 , May 16, 2005
          I just put a page up about this with better links at:
          http://carfreeuniverse.org/Members/colin/oqyana/

          the main links are:
          http://www.theworld.ae/
          and
          http://www.thepalm.ae/

          Colin
        • Simon Baddeley
          Message 4 of 9 , May 17, 2005
            I have more than grave reservations. This project is similar to a larger
            scale version of the cycle routes that have laid down on old paths including
            abandoned railways in, for instance The Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire in
            England. This is an undoubtedly beautiful area once famous for forestry and
            coal mining. As part of its economic recovery much investment has gone into
            attracting new visitors but as even the local council for the area have
            admitted the increase in walkers and cyclists has increased the net volume
            of car journeys to the area's extensive range of newly laid out and
            tastefully landscaped carparks. The introduction of the cycling facilities
            marked a substantial jump in the numbers of cars coming to and from the
            area. Some of these paths are old railways and although there is a Heritage
            Railway that starts close to an ill-served mainline station at Lydney, it
            does not welcome bicycles or expect to carry people coming from the Lydney
            or two other more distant rail stations separated from the Forest by busy
            roads and infrequent buses. There is minimal encouragement, with the
            exception of one short stretch of cycle route near Coleford, to promote the
            Forest cycle routes as routes from A to B. They are circuits from A to A, or
            rather carpark back to carpark, or in the case of this development, airport
            and back to airport - with a short ferry from the mainland - with all the
            consequences in increased air travel.

            Dubai began a major expansion of its airport in 1997, opening the Sheikh
            Rashid Terminal in 2000, and a second phase of airport expansion is
            underway. This includes the construction of a third terminal, two more
            concourses and an expanded cargo terminal. Right now this airport can handle
            22 million passengers a year. Dubai's tourism representatives claim that by
            2008, the airport will be able to handle over 70 million passengers
            annually. This is not a development we should celebrate - shipping well-off
            people massive distances by unsustainable transport so they can walk. At
            least you can get to Venice by train or ship!

            We will see more and more of these havens being constructed so that the
            rich, while blighting the cities of their homelands with their environmental
            fecklessness, can escape the consequences of their political
            irresponsibility. In this case they are almost literally putting their heads
            in the sand and paying good money for the privilege to lie on crime free
            beaches, and the more they mess up the rest of the world the more popular
            such havens will be.

            This kind of thing has been a winning formula for quite a while. So far as I
            can see the one good thing is that unlike many island "sanctuaries" in the
            Caribbean and Pacific and other seas, the money drawn in by these
            developments will stay in Dubai form local circulation instead of simply
            being leached back to mainland shareholders at the expense of indigenous
            populations.

            The emphasis of carfree cities is upon analysing and understanding the ways
            we humans damage and destroy the sites of our economic activities and then,
            in the words of Herodotus, move on "leaving deserts in our wake". The
            emphasis of carfree cities is to use our analyses of the collateral harm we
            do while enriching ourselves, to invent sustainable ways to prosper. This is
            the most vital task we face on this globe and no human who has not engaged
            in it, through inventive thinking about externals but also through greater
            self knowledge, can justify their sojourn here. The emphasis of carfree
            cities is to find ways to rediscover and restore the civilisation of cities,
            reducing their ecological footprints, drawing on human creativity and
            technical talent. Carfree cities is a global conversation about making where
            we are, a place we desire to live and work, questioning the delving and
            hewing to which we humans are so attracted and about of whose consequences
            the poet Gerard Manley Hopkins wrote " ... even where we mean, to mend her
            we end her, when we hew or delve. After-comers cannot guess the beauty
            been."

            Simon

            On 17/5/05 1:41 am, "Colin Leath" <cleath@...> wrote:

            > I just put a page up about this with better links at:
            > http://carfreeuniverse.org/Members/colin/oqyana/
            >
            > the main links are:
            > http://www.theworld.ae/
            > and
            > http://www.thepalm.ae/
            >
            > Colin

          • Debra Efroymson
            Message 5 of 9 , May 17, 2005
              Greetings. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good
              website, or has photos they can send me, of groups of
              people cycling--preferably commuters. I am trying to
              put together a slideshow with pictures of cycling from
              around the world, to show that cycling is a common
              form of transport...but most of the photos I'm finding
              are picturesque or of single, tourist cyclists, which
              doesn't quite get the point across.

              Many thanks for your help. We will use the slideshow
              at the introduction of our upcoming seminar (on the
              23rd) campaigning for a reduction/cancellation of the
              bicycle tariff here in Bangladesh.

              Anima (anima1205@...)

              Yahoo! Mail
            • Patrick J McDonough
              Message 6 of 9 , May 17, 2005
                www.pedbikeimages.org

                On Tue, 17 May 2005, Debra Efroymson wrote:

                > Greetings. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good
                > website, or has photos they can send me, of groups of
                > people cycling--preferably commuters. I am trying to
                > put together a slideshow with pictures of cycling from
                > around the world, to show that cycling is a common
                > form of transport...but most of the photos I'm finding
                > are picturesque or of single, tourist cyclists, which
                > doesn't quite get the point across.
                >
                > Many thanks for your help. We will use the slideshow
                > at the introduction of our upcoming seminar (on the
                > 23rd) campaigning for a reduction/cancellation of the
                > bicycle tariff here in Bangladesh.
                >
                > Anima (anima1205@...)
                >

                > Yahoo! Mail

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Markus Heller
                Message 7 of 9 , May 18, 2005
                  Hi Debra,
                  more photos from world`s largest bicycle demonstration in Berlin (*Fahrradsternfahrt*):
                  - www.adfc-berlin.de/sternfahrt.cm
                  - www.fahrradsternfahrt.de (contains links to more private photo websites)
                  - www.european-bike-day.com (english, but still under construction ?)
                  - last year we had 250,000 ciclysts, and the newspapers titled *better don`t drive in town with car* ...
                  - next *Fahrradsternfahrt* is Sunday, June 5, 2005
                  - contact to organizers (copyrights ?): Alex Hunger, Benno Koch www.adfc-berlin.de (Berlin section of Germany`s largest bicycle club)

                  a similar event will be held in Hamburg:
                  - www.fahrradsternfahrt-hamburg.de
                  - contact there is Udo Schuldt (> www.AG2100.de) from carfree living! club (www.autofrei.de)

                  Markus Heller, Berlin section
                  Carfree Living Berlin Collaborative
                  www.autofrei-wohnen.de/homeEngl.html
                  On Tue, 17 May 2005, Debra Efroymson wrote:

                  > Greetings. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good
                  > website, or has photos they can send me, of groups of
                  > people cycling--preferably commuters. I am trying to
                  > put together a slideshow with pictures of cycling from
                  > around the world, to show that cycling is a common
                  > form of transport...but most of the photos I'm finding
                  > are picturesque or of single, tourist cyclists, which
                  > doesn't quite get the point across.
                  >
                  > Many thanks for your help. We will use the slideshow
                  > at the introduction of our upcoming seminar (on the
                  > 23rd) campaigning for a reduction/cancellation of the
                  > bicycle tariff here in Bangladesh.
                  >
                  > Anima (anima1205@...)

                • Debra Efroymson
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 21, 2005
                    Thanks, Markus! I just wish my German was better.
                    :-)
                    Anima

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 21, 2005
                      Hi All,

                      The following post appeared on the list today. It's
                      an example of something we've been seeing too much of
                      lately, which is replies in which the original post
                      has not been trimmed back to just the relevant bits.
                      Please, everyone, it takes only a moment to do this
                      and saves everyone (all 474 of us) time.

                      Thanks,

                      original posting: