Re: Initiative for a carfree 42nd Street, Manhattan

  • erik_rauch
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2005
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Chris Radcliff <chris.radcliff@g...> wrote:
      > > http://www.vision42.org
      > This seems like it would be a leap forward for carfree urban planning
      > in the US. I can imagine this example being cited in every US carfree
      > development discussion to follow. Any idea how likely this is to gain
      > traction?

      A 42nd street tram has been proposed at various times without success, but this has
      better chances, both because it is better organized, and because the climate has
      improved. It was overwhelmingly approved by the city council in 1994, but was killed
      by then-mayor Giuliani. But as last week's New York Times article notes, "three
      transportation projects first proposed decades ago - a Second Avenue subway, a
      Long Island Rail Road connection to Grand Central Terminal and a direct train ride
      from Manhattan to Kennedy Airport - all find themselves in some stage of planning
      now." This group has been trying to get support for the tram as part of New York's
      2012 Olympics bid.

      Manhattan is one of the few places in the US that regularly experiences pedestrian
      crowding today. If this happens on 42nd street, it will become obvious that cars are a
      shocking waste of space everywhere else in the dense parts of the city.

      You can get an idea of what a carfree Manhattan could look like on one of the annual
      bike tours that close off the streets on their route, like the Five Boro bike tour which I
      participated in yesterday. Seeing all those people in the streets makes it really
      obvious how much space cars waste. Also, it's an interesting and different experience
      to see the skyscraper canyons from the middle, rather than always off to one side.

      Article: http://www.vision42.org/news/articles/041805_nytimes
    • Todd Edelman
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2005
        To Erik: Yes, we should walk in the middle of the
        streets. You get a much better perspective on the
        details of a 5 or 6 story turn of the century building
        in Prague, too. Not just older cities were not
        designed for cars, but neither were the streets and
        facades!!

        To Markus: On the Vision42 website it mentions that
        most or almost all delivery entrances are on 41st or
        43rd steets (as you may know these north of Houston
        Ave. NYC blocks are 20 to a mile, so each one is only
        about... uh....75 metres deep? .. so many of the
        buildings have service areas on the next streets over
        a the rears of the buildings.

        They have it this way in part because storefront space
        on the high street is just too valuable.

        ----

        I asked a bunch of other questions to the organisers
        and am waiting for answers, which I will post here.

        Todd

      • dubluth
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28, 2005
          Only 208 people have signed so far. Visiors as well as residents and
          workers may sign. I'm a potential visitor.
        • adolfo restrepo
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 28, 2005
            Have you contacted NYC bike community, what's in it
            for them.

            http://mail.yahoo.com