existing parking places on private land in new ped. zones / Re: [carfree_cities] Re: ... www.vision42.org

  • Markus Heller
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2005
      I like www.vision42.org too and wish them all the best! I didn`t read everything, but how do they manage with existing (underground) parking places under the skyscrapers ?

      As I understood so far, in Autoland Germany we have this big problem with parking places in existing houses in pedestrian zones: If one is the owner of a parking place on (his/her) property (or if s/he has rented a place on a private property) s/he will have the right to access with the car, even in a pedestrian zone: That`s the reason why you see so much cars in german pedestrian zones, like Freiburg in Breisgau.
      So the streetscape depends on the builded situation in the past.
      But when they introduce a new pedestrian zone, usually the administration prohibits to build new parking places on private properties (exceptions for deliveries and disabled people etc), thats very good but doesn`t solve the problem with the old parking places ...

      How do they deal with that in other countries ? The example of NY (www.vision42.org) is only the opportunity to ask you all. Have other countries stricter rules than Germany ? Maybe we could exchanges arguments and adopt better rules (ยงยง) ...

      Markus Heller, Berlin
      www.autofrei-wohnen.de/projectsberlin.html