Re: [carfree_cities] Old Electric Trains, Hydrogen, etc.,

  • Andrew Dawson
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2005
      J.H. Crawford wrote:
      >This is another one of those things that's wrong with Amtrak and
      >seems not able to be fixed. Legally (not contractually, legally)
      >they were required under the law that relieved them of the burden
      >of operating passenger service by turning their obligation to do
      >so over to Amtrak, they must give highest priority to Amtrak. I
      >assume that if that means running longer freights, it also means
      >building longer passing sidings or holding the freight at a
      >siding that's long enough, no matter how much it delays in the
      >freight. In practice, of course, most of the railroads have cheated
      >most of the time. Amtrak always wins in court and loses on the tracks.

      Part of this is also the reason why some commuter train operations are ran
      under contract by Amtrak, such as Metrolink in L.A.

      > >That's another thing, these days (freight)railroads claim to be running
      > >scheduled trains. Some times I wonder if it would be possible to form
      >mixed
      > >train consists. For long distance runs(not high speed like corridor
      > >services) there might even be a decrease in locomotive crew and trackage
      > >costs. For Amtrak and Via Rail there could even be a return of to routes
      > >where service was lost. Andrew Dawson
      >
      >Mixed consists are not desirable for a number of reasons, including
      >the much poorer braking characteristics of freight cars.

      Ideally tracks across North America would be open access(as well there
      wouldn't have been so many lines ripped up over the last 80 years), so that
      any train operator could run a train in a certain time slot. Mixed consists
      get around the capacity constraints(as utilities go, railways behave very
      badly). In Europe you're lucky that so much infrastructure is still intact,
      over here in NA we're not so lucky. Plus with the current Bush and Martin
      regimes things won't improve any time soon. ASD