Initiative for a carfree 42nd Street, Manhattan

  • erik_rauch
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2005
      A group called "Vision 42" is campaigning to put the first new cross-town tram in
      Manhattan on 42nd Street, and in the process, to make the street carfree.

      There are good mockup images and plans on the site.

      There are those who say that cars belong in the streetscape of Manhattan, but one
      should not remain in the past forever.

      http://www.vision42.org
    • Chris Radcliff
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2005
        Wow. Pretty impressive. It sounds like these folks have done their
        homework. Did anyone else see this as taking a page right out of
        "Carfree Cities"? Specifically, page 273?

        This seems like it would be a leap forward for carfree urban planning
        in the US. I can imagine this example being cited in every US carfree
        development discussion to follow. Any idea how likely this is to gain
        traction?

        ~chris

        > A group called "Vision 42" is campaigning to put the first new cross-town tram in
        > Manhattan on 42nd Street, and in the process, to make the street carfree.
        >
        > There are good mockup images and plans on the site.
        >
        > There are those who say that cars belong in the streetscape of Manhattan, but one
        > should not remain in the past forever.
        >
        > http://www.vision42.org

      • erik_rauch
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2005
          --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Chris Radcliff <chris.radcliff@g...> wrote:
          > > http://www.vision42.org
          > This seems like it would be a leap forward for carfree urban planning
          > in the US. I can imagine this example being cited in every US carfree
          > development discussion to follow. Any idea how likely this is to gain
          > traction?

          A 42nd street tram has been proposed at various times without success, but this has
          better chances, both because it is better organized, and because the climate has
          improved. It was overwhelmingly approved by the city council in 1994, but was killed
          by then-mayor Giuliani. But as last week's New York Times article notes, "three
          transportation projects first proposed decades ago - a Second Avenue subway, a
          Long Island Rail Road connection to Grand Central Terminal and a direct train ride
          from Manhattan to Kennedy Airport - all find themselves in some stage of planning
          now." This group has been trying to get support for the tram as part of New York's
          2012 Olympics bid.

          Manhattan is one of the few places in the US that regularly experiences pedestrian
          crowding today. If this happens on 42nd street, it will become obvious that cars are a
          shocking waste of space everywhere else in the dense parts of the city.

          You can get an idea of what a carfree Manhattan could look like on one of the annual
          bike tours that close off the streets on their route, like the Five Boro bike tour which I
          participated in yesterday. Seeing all those people in the streets makes it really
          obvious how much space cars waste. Also, it's an interesting and different experience
          to see the skyscraper canyons from the middle, rather than always off to one side.

          Article: http://www.vision42.org/news/articles/041805_nytimes
        • Todd Edelman
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2005
            To Erik: Yes, we should walk in the middle of the
            streets. You get a much better perspective on the
            details of a 5 or 6 story turn of the century building
            in Prague, too. Not just older cities were not
            designed for cars, but neither were the streets and
            facades!!

            To Markus: On the Vision42 website it mentions that
            most or almost all delivery entrances are on 41st or
            43rd steets (as you may know these north of Houston
            Ave. NYC blocks are 20 to a mile, so each one is only
            about... uh....75 metres deep? .. so many of the
            buildings have service areas on the next streets over
            a the rears of the buildings.

            They have it this way in part because storefront space
            on the high street is just too valuable.

            ----

            I asked a bunch of other questions to the organisers
            and am waiting for answers, which I will post here.

            Todd

          • dubluth
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 28, 2005
              Only 208 people have signed so far. Visiors as well as residents and
              workers may sign. I'm a potential visitor.
            • adolfo restrepo
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 28, 2005
                Have you contacted NYC bike community, what's in it
                for them.

                http://mail.yahoo.com