Alternative to AutoTrain

  • Mike Morin
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2005
      Todd Edelman wrote:

      I would think it could also be useful or better to give
      Amtrak or Post-trak or Evangelical Southern or
      CocaColaCarfreeExpress (or whatever possible new
      railway undertakings are called) riders FREE public
      transport passes and FREE bicycle rental in their
      destinations (if cities).

      MM:

      That's really a great idea.

      I also appreciate your sense of humour...

    • Todd Edelman
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2005
        > Todd Edelman wrote:
        >
        > I would think it could also be useful or better to
        > give
        > Amtrak or Post-trak or Evangelical Southern or
        > CocaColaCarfreeExpress (or whatever possible new
        > railway undertakings are called) riders FREE public
        > transport passes and FREE bicycle rental in their
        > destinations (if cities).
        >
        > MM:
        >
        > That's really a great idea.

        TODD: Well, of course things realted to this are
        happening in some places and could happen easily in
        others:

        In the USA the company Bikestation (.org) has
        "intermodal services" (carshare, bikes, etc) including
        bike rental at some locations at or in close proximity
        to public transport or train stations. But the bike
        part at least is mostly of use to commuters/"day
        trippers" since vacationers would have standard
        luggage... so in addition to the intermodal stations
        other bikeshops/bike rentals will need to be involved
        (so services are as close as possible to hotels).

        In Germany people who hold a discount card "BahnCard"
        also get a discount on bike rentals, at least through
        Call a Bike (www.callabike.de) - watch the easy to
        download video.

        In regard to the possible part, I have already
        approached both RailEurope (mentioned in previous
        email) and Eurostar (high speed services between
        London, Paris and Brussels) for adding some kind of
        bike offer in addition to their free car OR discounts
        on car rental. They have both responded and are
        "considering" it. I will likely propose something more
        formal in coordination with the bike-train person at
        ECF (European Cyclists Federation).

        There is also of course some cooperation between
        airlines and trains in various parts of Europe at
        least. One example is that Lufthansa and DB work
        together to cut down on internal flights in Germany
        (for example, some airports are directly on high speed
        train routes).

        So, in the USA, if someone wanted to fly from San
        Diego to Washington DC and then fly back from Boston
        they could benefit from some kind of concrete
        cooperation between national airlines operating
        transcontientally AND rail services on the Northeast
        Corridor. Is this happening already? It helps of
        course if highspeed trains are in operation...

        But rather than increasing airline travel our focus
        should be on making the rail travel as good as
        possible (even educational, regarding climate
        change)... also remember what kind of experience the
        New York subway must be for people who have never
        taken public transport. (Dont get me wrong, I
        generally like the subway there)

        ... and dont forget to reduce the need or desire for
        all this mobility in the first place!!!

        - Todd