"traffic calmed commercial area" in Berlin-Mitte / Re: [carfree_cities] Spitballing

  • Markus Heller
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2005
      Hi Chris,

      ref. to
      "The one that came to mind was reducing the speed limit on all city streets to 10mph, "traffic calming" pushed to the extreme."

      Here in Berlin`s central district "Mitte" was an extended discussion about a new mobility concept for a 50 hectares area called "Spandauer Vorstadt (SpV)" which is one of the oldest parts in Berlin and full of tourists (the area has ~12,000 places of cafès and restaurants but only ~6,000 inhabitants. Only half of all households own a car.).
      At the end the final decision was to introduce a so-called "traffic calmed commercial area" ("verkehrsberuhigter Geschäftsbereich"): Most streets will have 10 km/h, only a few main streets will have 30 km/h.
      What we still have in this SpV-area is a "parking place management".

      Unfortunately, I know only the following german websites about that (if you need more details contact me):

      - Both, the new mobility concept and the parking place management, based on studies from Technical University:
      www.strassenplanung.TU-Berlin.de (> Mr Rumen Genow did the studies, but he doesn`t work there any more)

      - district Mitte:
      www.berlin-mitte.de (> district transport planner is Mr. Siegfried Dittrich)

      - The area is a special "reconstruction area", so there exists a coordinator for everything what`s happening there:
      www.koordinationsbuero-stadt.de (> Mr. Dieser or > Mr. Wilke)

      - The neighbourhood committee`s (BV SpV) website about transport is
      www.bvspv.de/verkehrskonzepte.html (no detailed description, but containing the contacts to the planners & related press articles)
      This neighbourhood committee (I am involved in as speaker for mobility) tried to get a pedestrian zone around the main place of this area ("Hackescher Markt"), but unfortunately, we weren`t succesful, only the place itself became carfree. You can see a map of this SpV-area here:
      www.bvspv.de/rahmenplan.html
      links to the "local zoning plan" with a map of Hackescher Markt is at
      www.bvspv.de/b-plaene.html#i51

      Markus Heller
      Carfree Living Berlin Collaborative
      www.autofrei-wohnen.de/projectsberlin.html#pedestrian (engl.)