Settling in for the long haul

  • s.j.baddeley@bham.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2000
      To catch a glimpse of the end of the domination of our world by the
      car don€  '²t you need to imagine yourself participating in a process
      which in many different forms will go on and on for the rest of most
      of our lives and certainly mine. I€  '²m 57.

      The campaigns for abolition of slavery and for female emancipation
      were carried on over decades on many fronts and in many settings.
      Feelings about it divided families as well as communities and
      nations. The scars remain today and there is much unfinished
      business.

      The ending of carmageddon €  '¶ a term that captures everything to do
      with human fecklessness about the world we leave to our grand-
      children €  '¶ will only be ended through enduring courage and
      intelligence and principles that include a humble understanding of
      how much we have to learn about each other and the world we must
      share or lose.

      I hesitate at times when I contemplate the perseverance needed to
      maintain the lobbying, campaigning and voting (personally and
      collectively) vital to ending autodependence and its multiple
      connections to economic blight, social inequality, personal tragedy
      and global pollution (of the air but also of time and space).

      My observations are directed partly to myself but point to the matter
      of political pacing and may serve as an antidote to the
      disappointment that some may be feeling at the moment about what
      seems to be the impetus and direction of British government policy on
      transport let alone carfree cities.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2000
        >To catch a glimpse of the end of the domination of our world by the
        >car don€  '²t you need to imagine yourself participating in a process
        >which in many different forms will go on and on for the rest of most
        >of our lives and certainly mine. I€  '²m 57.

        It took us about 100 years to get into our current mess, and I
        expect that it will take about 100 years to get out of it.
        That's life! So who's in a hurry? (Maybe mother Earth.)

        ###

        J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_
        postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com