Re: [carfree_cities] advice sought re government rules on parking and hawkers

  • Debra Efroymson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 2005
      Thanks, Simon. Having won a small victory in our
      battle to save the rickshaw, we are expanding...to
      even more difficult battles.
      To clarify, I think I know what we want, but need
      examples, preferably complete with some text, so that
      we can draft policies to present to the government.
      (Short of that I can hammer them with questions, but
      that is unlikely to be as effective.) Governments
      tend to prefer not to be original--they like to know
      that what we suggest has already been implemented
      elsewhere.
      - No increase in off-street parking.
      - Ban parking on sidewalks (!) and major streets.
      - Allow parking on minor streets, but charge for it,
      by the time spent parked there.
      My concern is, if we seriously limit availability
      of parking, we may increase traffic congestion because
      so many people have drivers rather than driving
      themselves--but I assume that would be self-limiting,
      as jams should be a bit of a deterrent, and we would
      try to use the freed space to improve other modes,
      thus, we hope, decreasing car use. (Any bans/limits
      on free parking should of course be accompanied by
      other discouragements to car use and incentives for
      alternatives.)
      Re hawkers, what we want is to keep them on the
      sidewalks, but not allow them to block the entire
      sidewalk. We feel they provide attraction and safety
      as well as selling goods at low prices and thus
      improving the lot of the poor (as both sellers and
      buyers). In terms of food, they also improve
      diversity, as they sell far more varieties of local
      food than are available in most restaurants. Again,
      we need to demonstrate that hawkers are welcome, even
      encouraged, on sidewalks in other ("modern,
      civilized") cities.
      To make my motives clear, may I assure you all we
      would just recommend banning all cars if we
      could...but in the meantime, are trying to figure out
      how to contain the damage they cause, while training
      the majority that they have the right to demand space
      be given to them, not to cars.
      Anima

      http://mail.yahoo.com