RE: [carfree_cities] Re: strange bedfellows

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 18, 2005
      The lovely, talented and fair-minded Karen Sandness
      wrote: "...The arch-conservative Paul Weyrich has long
      been in favor of mass transit, so not all Republicans
      are knee-jerk car potatoes..."

      "...Karen you made a very good point, just because
      some
      one is a conservative dosen't mean that they are right
      winged. Just as there are liberals who are not left
      leaning." - replied the handsome and reality-checking
      Andrew Dawson, in attempted obfuscation :-) of
      political branding in the USA....

      ...and then:

      BUT! One is possibly more likely to support winged
      things and the other tilting trains (which lean both
      ways)... well, um, actually, do American liberals
      actually realise that airplanes are B-A-D for the
      environment and do Republicans reallllllllllly,
      honestly, and unabashedly... L-O-V-E trains?

      AHA!!! Lets just base political labels on ones "level
      of sustainability"...

      Todd,
      World Generalisation-Free and Metaphor-Lite Network

      ---------

      ads below? Buy the products, buy into them, just for
      once... redefine yourself!!!!!!

    • Fred M. Cain
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 19, 2005
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Dawson"
        <m82a1_dawson@h...> wrote:
        > Karen Sandness wrote:
        > >The arch-conservative Paul Weyrich has long been in favor of mass
        > >transit, so not all Republicans are knee-jerk car potatoes.
        >
        > Karen you made a very good point, just because some one is a
        conservative
        > dosen't mean that they are right winged. Just as there are
        liberals who are
        > not left leaning.
        >
        > Andrew Dawson

        Well, I consider myself as a convert. A life-long liberal who once
        voted for McGovern, I have left the fold and have become very
        conservative in recent years for a number of reasons that I won't go
        into here.

        But what really gets me about some conservatives is that they refuse
        to apply the same tough standards for the highway and automotive
        mode that they insist upon applying to rail transit.

        Most conservatives are firm believers in the good of allowing free
        markets to prevail - and I agree. But what many refuse to see is
        that the automotive and highway mode have existed in anything but a
        true "free market" environment - a fact that most of you on this
        list are probably aware of. If we are to move ahead as a nation in
        the field of transportation, changes need to be made.

        Regards,
        Fred M. Cain
      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 19, 2005
          Hi Fred. Good to see the category breaking going on here.

          In the UK "road-rationing" or "congestion charging" is supported by the
          right on free market principles and by the left on the principle of
          redistributing road space more fairly (with all the reservations about
          simplistic left-right categories).

          Simon

          On 19/4/05 1:47 pm, "Fred M. Cain" <fredmcain@...> wrote:

          > Most conservatives are firm believers in the good of allowing free
          > markets to prevail - and I agree. But what many refuse to see is
          > that the automotive and highway mode have existed in anything but a
          > true "free market" environment - a fact that most of you on this
          > list are probably aware of. If we are to move ahead as a nation in
          > the field of transportation, changes need to be made.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Fred M. Cain
        • Fred M. Cain
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 20, 2005
            --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Simon Baddeley
            <s.j.baddeley@b...> wrote:

            > Hi Fred. Good to see the category breaking going on here.
            >
            > In the UK "road-rationing" or "congestion charging" is supported
            by the
            > right on free market principles and by the left on the principle of
            > redistributing road space more fairly (with all the reservations
            about
            > simplistic left-right categories).
            >
            > Simon

            Simon,

            How are things going with the "privatization" of British Rail? Any
            better? Right now we're having a politicl fight in America over
            Amtrak. Any advice for us Yanks?

            Regards,

            Fred M. Cain