Re: [carfree_cities] Google maps

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2005
      On Apr 18, 2005, at 9:40 AM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

      > Satellite photos so far only available in the USA:

      Well, actually both USA and Canada (though some areas aren't as yet
      available at the highest resolutions). (I've looked at most of my
      former homes In Montreal, the Ottawa area, Winnipeg and Mount Rainier,
      Maryland over the past few days). Apparently the satellite photo
      database acquired by Google last year does cover most of the planet, so
      it's only a matter of time before coverage is extended. (Not
      unexpectedly, Google, like other US-based companies, will begin
      offering their services at home: a simple question of where the main
      market is...)

      > http://maps.google.com/
      >
      > This could be a very useful tool for research, especially
      > in assessing the amount of space given over to parking.

      Indeed. Another service, with sometimes better resolution, is Microsoft
      Terraserver:

      http://terraserver-usa.com/default.aspx

      This service *is* USA-only: its images are aerial photos by the United
      States Geological Survey. Whereas in Google maps (and satellite images)
      you can actually drag the image around on the screen to bring
      neighboring areas into view, Terraserver doesn't give this possibility.
      Instead, you have to click on arrows on the image border.

      Christopher Miller
      Washington DC/Mount Rainier, Maryland
      USA