Re: Mass Transit vs. Highway Const.

  • Fred M. Cain
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 15, 2005
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Todd Edelman
      <traintowardsthefuture@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Claude,
      >
      > Even if you are just getting these figures to make
      > conversation at dinner parties or to impress that
      > environmental cutie sitting on the next bench (or
      > better yet, in line for "Revenge of the Sith") when
      > discussing "costs" it is good and I think necessary to
      > talk about other costs such as losses from everyone
      > who has been killed in public transport vs. the same
      > from automobiles, etc, etc. There are many "costs" and
      > infact the health costs of auto pollution are higher
      > than from auto collisions and... if someone wants to
      > propose doing a automobilisation costs FAQ for the WCN
      > website I will separate things into paragraphs from
      > now on. Todd

      And don't forget law enforcement, snow & ice removal, loss of
      property tax revenue, deterioration of real estate values near large
      highways, the list of "hidden costs" is long. The pro-highway, anti-
      rail transit lobby loves to deny all this. But these costs are
      real, aren't they?

      Regards,
      Fred M. Cain