Re: [carfree_cities] Mass Transit vs. Highway Const.

  • Doug Salzmann
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10 10:56 PM
      On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Richard Risemberg wrote:

      > Anyway, Todd Litman at http://www.vtpi.org probably has the numbers.

      Yep, Todd either knows or knows where to find out.

      > On Apr 10, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Claude Willey wrote:

      > > I have one estimate of $500 billion on Highway construction during
      > > the
      > > 20th cen. Is this close?

      No, not even close. The Federal Highway Administration reports the
      following for the Interstate System alone:

      Total Cost of the Interstate System ($Billions)
      As Reported to Congress in Interstate Cost Estimates

      Year Total Cost Federal Share
      1958 37.622 33.952
      1961 41.000 37.000
      1965 46.800 42.000
      1968 56.500 50.640
      1970 69.870 62.500
      1972 76.300 68.260
      1975 89.200 79.520
      1977 104.300 93.240
      1979 112.900 100.800
      1981 133.932 119.685
      1981 Rev 119.000 106.200
      1983 123.300 109.900
      1985 120.500 107.200
      1987 121.000 107.600
      1989 124.900 111.000
      1991 128.900 114.300

      Plus the last fourteen years.

      Add the costs of the other federal, state, and local roads over the years
      and we're talking real money ;^)

      -Doug

      =================
      Doug Salzmann
      Kalliergo
      P.O. Box 307
      Corte Madera, CA
      94976-0307 USA

      www.kalliergo.net
    • Fred M. Cain
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 15 11:39 AM
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Todd Edelman
        <traintowardsthefuture@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Claude,
        >
        > Even if you are just getting these figures to make
        > conversation at dinner parties or to impress that
        > environmental cutie sitting on the next bench (or
        > better yet, in line for "Revenge of the Sith") when
        > discussing "costs" it is good and I think necessary to
        > talk about other costs such as losses from everyone
        > who has been killed in public transport vs. the same
        > from automobiles, etc, etc. There are many "costs" and
        > infact the health costs of auto pollution are higher
        > than from auto collisions and... if someone wants to
        > propose doing a automobilisation costs FAQ for the WCN
        > website I will separate things into paragraphs from
        > now on. Todd

        And don't forget law enforcement, snow & ice removal, loss of
        property tax revenue, deterioration of real estate values near large
        highways, the list of "hidden costs" is long. The pro-highway, anti-
        rail transit lobby loves to deny all this. But these costs are
        real, aren't they?

        Regards,
        Fred M. Cain