Re: [carfree_cities] Mass Transit vs. Highway Const.

  • Todd Edelman
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10, 2005
      Hi Claude,

      Even if you are just getting these figures to make
      conversation at dinner parties or to impress that
      environmental cutie sitting on the next bench (or
      better yet, in line for "Revenge of the Sith") when
      discussing "costs" it is good and I think necessary to
      talk about other costs such as losses from everyone
      who has been killed in public transport vs. the same
      from automobiles, etc, etc. There are many "costs" and
      infact the health costs of auto pollution are higher
      than from auto collisions and... if someone wants to
      propose doing a automobilisation costs FAQ for the WCN
      website I will separate things into paragraphs from
      now on. Todd

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 10, 2005
        Anyway, Todd Litman at http://www.vtpi.org probably has the numbers.

        On Apr 10, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Claude Willey wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Can anyone give me a rough estimate on how much has been spent on
        > Public Transit vs. Highway Construction in the U.S.
        > since the 1920s?
        >
        > I have one estimate of $500 billion on Highway construction during
        > the
        > 20th cen. Is this close?
        >
        > I'd appreciate any information.
        >
        > --Claude

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://www.rickrise.com
        http://www.newcolonist.com
        http://www.living-room.org
      • Doug Salzmann
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 10, 2005
          On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Richard Risemberg wrote:

          > Anyway, Todd Litman at http://www.vtpi.org probably has the numbers.

          Yep, Todd either knows or knows where to find out.

          > On Apr 10, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Claude Willey wrote:

          > > I have one estimate of $500 billion on Highway construction during
          > > the
          > > 20th cen. Is this close?

          No, not even close. The Federal Highway Administration reports the
          following for the Interstate System alone:

          Total Cost of the Interstate System ($Billions)
          As Reported to Congress in Interstate Cost Estimates

          Year Total Cost Federal Share
          1958 37.622 33.952
          1961 41.000 37.000
          1965 46.800 42.000
          1968 56.500 50.640
          1970 69.870 62.500
          1972 76.300 68.260
          1975 89.200 79.520
          1977 104.300 93.240
          1979 112.900 100.800
          1981 133.932 119.685
          1981 Rev 119.000 106.200
          1983 123.300 109.900
          1985 120.500 107.200
          1987 121.000 107.600
          1989 124.900 111.000
          1991 128.900 114.300

          Plus the last fourteen years.

          Add the costs of the other federal, state, and local roads over the years
          and we're talking real money ;^)

          -Doug

          =================
          Doug Salzmann
          Kalliergo
          P.O. Box 307
          Corte Madera, CA
          94976-0307 USA

          www.kalliergo.net
        • Fred M. Cain
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 15, 2005
            --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Todd Edelman
            <traintowardsthefuture@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Claude,
            >
            > Even if you are just getting these figures to make
            > conversation at dinner parties or to impress that
            > environmental cutie sitting on the next bench (or
            > better yet, in line for "Revenge of the Sith") when
            > discussing "costs" it is good and I think necessary to
            > talk about other costs such as losses from everyone
            > who has been killed in public transport vs. the same
            > from automobiles, etc, etc. There are many "costs" and
            > infact the health costs of auto pollution are higher
            > than from auto collisions and... if someone wants to
            > propose doing a automobilisation costs FAQ for the WCN
            > website I will separate things into paragraphs from
            > now on. Todd

            And don't forget law enforcement, snow & ice removal, loss of
            property tax revenue, deterioration of real estate values near large
            highways, the list of "hidden costs" is long. The pro-highway, anti-
            rail transit lobby loves to deny all this. But these costs are
            real, aren't they?

            Regards,
            Fred M. Cain