Mass Transit vs. Highway Const.

  • Claude Willey
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10, 2005
      Hello,

      Can anyone give me a rough estimate on how much has been spent on
      Public Transit vs. Highway Construction in the U.S.
      since the 1920s?

      I have one estimate of $500 billion on Highway construction during the
      20th cen. Is this close?

      I'd appreciate any information.

      --Claude
    • Todd Edelman
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 10, 2005
        Hi Claude,

        Even if you are just getting these figures to make
        conversation at dinner parties or to impress that
        environmental cutie sitting on the next bench (or
        better yet, in line for "Revenge of the Sith") when
        discussing "costs" it is good and I think necessary to
        talk about other costs such as losses from everyone
        who has been killed in public transport vs. the same
        from automobiles, etc, etc. There are many "costs" and
        infact the health costs of auto pollution are higher
        than from auto collisions and... if someone wants to
        propose doing a automobilisation costs FAQ for the WCN
        website I will separate things into paragraphs from
        now on. Todd

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 10, 2005
          Anyway, Todd Litman at http://www.vtpi.org probably has the numbers.

          On Apr 10, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Claude Willey wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > Can anyone give me a rough estimate on how much has been spent on
          > Public Transit vs. Highway Construction in the U.S.
          > since the 1920s?
          >
          > I have one estimate of $500 billion on Highway construction during
          > the
          > 20th cen. Is this close?
          >
          > I'd appreciate any information.
          >
          > --Claude

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://www.rickrise.com
          http://www.newcolonist.com
          http://www.living-room.org
        • Doug Salzmann
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 10, 2005
            On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Richard Risemberg wrote:

            > Anyway, Todd Litman at http://www.vtpi.org probably has the numbers.

            Yep, Todd either knows or knows where to find out.

            > On Apr 10, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Claude Willey wrote:

            > > I have one estimate of $500 billion on Highway construction during
            > > the
            > > 20th cen. Is this close?

            No, not even close. The Federal Highway Administration reports the
            following for the Interstate System alone:

            Total Cost of the Interstate System ($Billions)
            As Reported to Congress in Interstate Cost Estimates

            Year Total Cost Federal Share
            1958 37.622 33.952
            1961 41.000 37.000
            1965 46.800 42.000
            1968 56.500 50.640
            1970 69.870 62.500
            1972 76.300 68.260
            1975 89.200 79.520
            1977 104.300 93.240
            1979 112.900 100.800
            1981 133.932 119.685
            1981 Rev 119.000 106.200
            1983 123.300 109.900
            1985 120.500 107.200
            1987 121.000 107.600
            1989 124.900 111.000
            1991 128.900 114.300

            Plus the last fourteen years.

            Add the costs of the other federal, state, and local roads over the years
            and we're talking real money ;^)

            -Doug

            =================
            Doug Salzmann
            Kalliergo
            P.O. Box 307
            Corte Madera, CA
            94976-0307 USA

            www.kalliergo.net
          • Fred M. Cain
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 15, 2005
              --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Todd Edelman
              <traintowardsthefuture@y...> wrote:
              > Hi Claude,
              >
              > Even if you are just getting these figures to make
              > conversation at dinner parties or to impress that
              > environmental cutie sitting on the next bench (or
              > better yet, in line for "Revenge of the Sith") when
              > discussing "costs" it is good and I think necessary to
              > talk about other costs such as losses from everyone
              > who has been killed in public transport vs. the same
              > from automobiles, etc, etc. There are many "costs" and
              > infact the health costs of auto pollution are higher
              > than from auto collisions and... if someone wants to
              > propose doing a automobilisation costs FAQ for the WCN
              > website I will separate things into paragraphs from
              > now on. Todd

              And don't forget law enforcement, snow & ice removal, loss of
              property tax revenue, deterioration of real estate values near large
              highways, the list of "hidden costs" is long. The pro-highway, anti-
              rail transit lobby loves to deny all this. But these costs are
              real, aren't they?

              Regards,
              Fred M. Cain