BBC: Where are the Segways?

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2005
      Here's a piece from the BBC today on the perils of the poor Segway in
      Britain; I see lessons for other technogadgets that don't have
      compelling advantages over old-fashioned biotechnology:

      An excerpt:

      ««««««««
      The success of the Segway could come down to the market it is pitched
      at, according to Ed Griffiths, designer with product design company
      JEDCo.

      He says a two-wheeled scooter that is used on the pavement and goes at
      12mph is being pitched as an alternative to walking.

      "But walking is free, natural and we all know how to do it, so why pay
      thousands for a Segway?" he says. "And if you don't want to walk why
      not get a bike, again it's much cheaper. The Segway doesn't seem to
      have massive practical benefits over other products or our own legs.

      Christopher Miller
      Washington DC/Mount Rainier, Maryland
      USA