Re: [carfree_cities] ASPO meeting lisbon

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2005
      David Ceaser said,

      >Regarding the ASPO meeting in Lisbon, I think that you
      >should focus on funding ideas

      No, I think this is much too premature. First we have
      to sell these folks on the idea that carfree cities
      are an essential part of the solution; once they have
      that firmly in hand, it's time to ask for money.

      These folks won't have money themselves, but they are
      starting to get serious political attention and will
      soon be in a position to give high-level policy advice.
      (Matt Simmons alread is.) THAT is when the money might
      start to flow.

      >Is this an academic type conference or an action type
      >of conference?

      These folks are mainly academic and field geologists.
      They aren't generally political.

      >If there was a general mindset amongst
      >the conference goers that automobiles are the biggest
      >"problem" associated with peak oil (and not plastics,
      >global warming, etc)

      I'm sure these folks are nearly as aware how the oil
      is being consumed as they are regarding where it's
      coming from.

      >If this were to be the case
      >something regarding carfree cities might be a topic
      >that the conference participants would be willing to
      >explore.

      I don't really think so. These folks are going to stay
      focused on the supply problem, but they are going to
      get asked about the demand side. If they have it firmly
      in mind that carfree cities can do more to lower the
      largest term in demand (transportation) than any other
      possible approach, it won't be long before they begin
      to mention it.

      Regards,