ASPO meeting lisbon

  • David Ceaser
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2005
      Joel and all,

      Regarding the ASPO meeting in Lisbon, I think that you
      should focus on funding ideas for creation of the
      first large (min. 15 k people), new carfree
      development that will be a model and knock down the
      barriers to carfree development :

      I am assuming that these are semi-powerful or
      influential people in their respective academic,
      business or other professional fields. As well, that
      they would support the ideas of carfree cities.

      Based on these assumptions being true, I think that
      the participants might be able to individually provide
      you with funding ideas or know people who might be
      interested in funding a project of this scale.

      Is this an academic type conference or an action type
      of conference? If there was a general mindset amongst
      the conference goers that automobiles are the biggest
      "problem" associated with peak oil (and not plastics,
      global warming, etc) then potentially the conference
      participants might want to take action on an issue
      that they want to make significant progress on before
      the next conference. If this were to be the case
      something regarding carfree cities might be a topic
      that the conference participants would be willing to
      explore.

      those are my thoughts on a beautiful California
      morning

      David Ceaser
      CarFree City, USA

      david@...
      www.carfreecity.us
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2005
        David Ceaser said,

        >Regarding the ASPO meeting in Lisbon, I think that you
        >should focus on funding ideas

        No, I think this is much too premature. First we have
        to sell these folks on the idea that carfree cities
        are an essential part of the solution; once they have
        that firmly in hand, it's time to ask for money.

        These folks won't have money themselves, but they are
        starting to get serious political attention and will
        soon be in a position to give high-level policy advice.
        (Matt Simmons alread is.) THAT is when the money might
        start to flow.

        >Is this an academic type conference or an action type
        >of conference?

        These folks are mainly academic and field geologists.
        They aren't generally political.

        >If there was a general mindset amongst
        >the conference goers that automobiles are the biggest
        >"problem" associated with peak oil (and not plastics,
        >global warming, etc)

        I'm sure these folks are nearly as aware how the oil
        is being consumed as they are regarding where it's
        coming from.

        >If this were to be the case
        >something regarding carfree cities might be a topic
        >that the conference participants would be willing to
        >explore.

        I don't really think so. These folks are going to stay
        focused on the supply problem, but they are going to
        get asked about the demand side. If they have it firmly
        in mind that carfree cities can do more to lower the
        largest term in demand (transportation) than any other
        possible approach, it won't be long before they begin
        to mention it.

        Regards,