Re: [carfree_cities] ASPO meeting, Lisbon

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2005
      One more thing:

      Moving to a carfree model fits in well with the Depletion Protocol
      proposed by Colin Campbell and cited on the page I linked to in my

      1. A convention of nations shall be called to consider the issue
      with a view to agreeing an Accord with the following objectives:

      a. to avoid profiteering from shortage, such that oil prices may
      remain in reasonable relationship with production cost;
      b. to allow poor countries to afford their imports;
      c. to avoid destabilising financial flows arising from excessive
      oil prices;
      d. to encourage consumers to avoid waste;
      e. to stimulate the development of alternative energies.

      2. Such an Accord shall have the following outline provisions:

      a. No country shall produce oil at above its current Depletion
      Rate, such being defined as annual production as a percentage of the
      estimated amount left to produce;
      b. Each importing country shall reduce its imports to match the
      current World Depletion Rate, deducting any indigenous production.

      If ever something like this protocol *were* adopted as international
      law, I think we would likely already be so far down the slope it would
      hardly matter any more. Just look at how long it has taken to put the
      measly measures of the Kyoto Protocol into practice (and how little
      enthusiasm some signatories are already showing in actually carrying
      them out).

      Christopher Miller
      Washington DC/Mount Rainier, Maryland
      USA