Re: [carfree_cities] Carfree Day on Google?

  • CEB
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2005
      Andrew,

      Thanks! (My Prius comment was actually meant negatively, though I suppose the Googleguys mean well...)

      Do you recall exactly how the link works? Through the Van Gogh logo, was the "jump" to the sites you would get if you entered "Van Gogh" normally or what exactly? IF the logo links to the existing top Carfree sites, that is great (and if this all happens we should prepare for more visitors!)

      This kind of leaves out a reason for the European Commission people to want to participate, as it would only link to Carfree stuff, not to them. And their "Day without my car" is on the last day of Mobility Week, so there would be no reason to link to that to promote the whole weeks events (and Google seems to only do one day things...).

      Also, since real participation in Carfree actions requires preparation, there would really be any direct effect on the same day. Hmm..... there might have to be some more clever collaboration on our end of the "link".

      There could be a page added for one day to the top "Carfree" Googles. It would say "Today is World Carfree Day" and "European Day without my car", and give some basic info, then from their people could "proceed to Carfree.com" or to " orld Carfree Network" or "proceed to European Commission Day without my car" etc. Also, the EU theme is this year is "Clever Commuting" (like that biodiesel shuttle), so we could offer to Google to link back to that....

      I am very reluctant to talk to Google until we know this works technically and of course til we have a conversation with the Commission or other actors. The next special Google logo will be up on 22 April: Earth Day.

      I request that any other strategic and tactical comments on this issue be sent to me OFF list at cyklopraha@centrum. cz

      However, any issues which you feel are more philosophical - or about the pedal-powered Popemobile - should be made ON the list.

      Thanks!
      - Todd

      > Od: mail@...
      > Komu: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
      > CC:
      > Datum: 03.04.2005 03:35
      > Předmět: Re: [carfree_cities] Carfree Day on Google?
      >

      > > "....The Toyota Prius is currently the most popular hybrid car, and is
      > > even the vehicle of choice of Larry Page and Sergey Brin - the founders
      > of
      > > internet search engine Google..."
      > >
      > > that was from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4092707.stm
      >
      > They are also big fans of the Segway. If I recall, most of the early PR
      > shots were of them on Segways, but not so much anymore.
      >
      > Anyway, I think this is a good idea. They supposedly read all their
      > e-mail, so that might be a way to get in contact with them. They seem
      > fairly progressive in their ideas, so they might be up for it. They have a
      > shuttle between San Francisco and their headquarters, to get people out of
      > their cars and save money:
      >
      > http://www.google.com/googleblog/2004/09/worth-drive_13.html
      >
      > Plus, it runs on biodiesel! When they run those images, the sites it links
      > to get lots of publicity. Here is a page that shows how many hits the top
      > result for [vincent van gogh] got after they recently showed that for a
      > day:
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/7xa7n
      >
      > I'm not sure how they would integrate out concept with the Google logo,
      > though.
      >
      > Andrew
    • Jym Dyer
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
        =v= I think it's a great idea to lobby Google to do a World
        Carfree Day logo. The World Carfree Network is an actual
        organization (springing out of _Carbusters_ magazine) that
        inaugurated World Carfree Day, so it should be whatever day
        they've chosen. (They've tended to shift it a bit.)

        =v= As an aside, I'm not even remotely interested in whether
        Google heavies are into "better" cars that run on "better"
        fuel. That's pretty much irrelevant to carFREEdom. I have
        to admit I'm a bit distresses at the amount of new whizbang
        car fetishism on the carfree and carfree_cities email lists.
        Aren't there, like, 9 million other email lists devoted to
        that sort of thing?
        <_Jym_>