Carfree Day on Google?

  • CEB
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2005
      "....The Toyota Prius is currently the most popular hybrid car, and is even the vehicle of choice of Larry Page and Sergey Brin - the founders of internet search engine Google..."

      that was from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4092707.stm

      ----

      Anyway, as many of you may have noticed, Google alters the design of the eponymous logo on various holidays and even "International Days" such as World AIDS Awareness Day, Breast Cancer Awareness Day, Earth Day etc.

      See: http://www.google.com/holidaylogos.html

      So...

      I propose that Google gets approached about a carfree logo on Sept 22nd. (EU "Day without my car", World Carfree Network et. al. "World Carfree Day"). I mean no disrespect here of other "Carfree Days". It is just that we now have a little next less than six months til 22.9. (plus some other reasons, read on...)

      Possibly millions of people would "see" the logo in one day of "Googling", if just 1 percent actually notice it consciously it would be great, and if just 1/10 of one percent go to a carfree link which I think could be part of it (see below) that could be thousands and thousands who have never had a link to even something like European Mobility Week.

      I am not sure if Google.com would do it, but there are of course Canada, Germany, Japan, Spain etc versions which serve their countries/languages but also link to the main Google database.

      So, at the European level at least there is a chance to do it on the .co.uk, .de, .fr Google sites as this could be helped by direct communication from DG Environment (the part of the European Commission which supports Mobility Week and "Day without my Car").

      Also, if I remember correctly the customised logo also becomes a link to details about the concept behind what I guess we can call the "Google Solidarity Logo". OR at least it starts a Google-search on "carfree" which leads everyone directly to us (currently the top three "carfree" websites are Carfree.com, Carfree Times and WCN - the "advertised links" are unfortuately another story)

      Not trying to sound arrogant here, but I am on a "first name basis" with two of the main EU Mobility Week people, and I think they would love the idea.

      I would prefer for the change to be on ALL the Google main pages, but as I have said, there is much more of a clear and stronger source of support in the EU, whereas in the USA no type of broad government body supports any kind of Carfree day.

      (PLEASE tell me if I am misinformed by national support for some kind of Carfree day in Canada, Japan, and other non-EU states which ALSO have their own Google engines)

      So, rather than get too ambitous from the get go, maybe we start with the Europe Google sites? Use the EU as a wedge? (I am thinking the World Carfree Network agenda is too radical for Google right now). And see if other Google sites get interested?

      Any thoughts? I know that the EU-style "Day without my Car" is not exactly what many of us support without reservation. I dont think we could get a WCN World Carfree Day link on the European Commission website, as I dont think they have any external links... but we possibly could get one on the sites of the organisations that manage the Mobility Week activities on behalf of the Commission.

      I am happy to contact my contacts in the Commission but I want to get some feedback first. They have "sales offices" in various cities worldwide but their main HQ is in Mountain View (northern California) and final decisions MIGHT need to be made there - so someone MIGHT need to go there in person. Commission people would probably not be able to do that, so if one of "us" who lives near there goes and delivers a letter, meets with someone etc it could help us get more "play" from the Commission.

      Thanks again!
      Todd Edelman,
      Steering Commitee,
      World Carfree Network
      www.worldcarfree.net

      -----

      Finally, and with all due respect, should we contact Velotaxi and similar companies and if they want to donate a pedal-powered "Popemobile" to the next Pontiff?
    • Andrew Hitchcock
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2005

        > "....The Toyota Prius is currently the most popular hybrid car, and is
        > even the vehicle of choice of Larry Page and Sergey Brin - the founders of
        > internet search engine Google..."
        >
        > that was from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4092707.stm

        They are also big fans of the Segway. If I recall, most of the early PR
        shots were of them on Segways, but not so much anymore.

        Anyway, I think this is a good idea. They supposedly read all their
        e-mail, so that might be a way to get in contact with them. They seem
        fairly progressive in their ideas, so they might be up for it. They have a
        shuttle between San Francisco and their headquarters, to get people out of
        their cars and save money:

        http://www.google.com/googleblog/2004/09/worth-drive_13.html

        Plus, it runs on biodiesel! When they run those images, the sites it links
        to get lots of publicity. Here is a page that shows how many hits the top
        result for [vincent van gogh] got after they recently showed that for a
        day:

        http://tinyurl.com/7xa7n

        I'm not sure how they would integrate out concept with the Google logo,
        though.

        Andrew

> [...]
        >
        > I am happy to contact my contacts in the Commission but I want to get some
        > feedback first. They have "sales offices" in various cities worldwide but
        > their main HQ is in Mountain View (northern California) and final
        > decisions MIGHT need to be made there - so someone MIGHT need to go there
        > in person. Commission people would probably not be able to do that, so if
        > one of "us" who lives near there goes and delivers a letter, meets with
        > someone etc it could help us get more "play" from the Commission.
        >
        > Thanks again!
        > Todd Edelman,
        > Steering Commitee,
        > World Carfree Network
        > www.worldcarfree.net
        >
        > -----
        >
        > Finally, and with all due respect, should we contact Velotaxi and similar
        > companies and if they want to donate a pedal-powered "Popemobile" to the

      • CEB
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2005
          Andrew,

          Thanks! (My Prius comment was actually meant negatively, though I suppose the Googleguys mean well...)

          Do you recall exactly how the link works? Through the Van Gogh logo, was the "jump" to the sites you would get if you entered "Van Gogh" normally or what exactly? IF the logo links to the existing top Carfree sites, that is great (and if this all happens we should prepare for more visitors!)

          This kind of leaves out a reason for the European Commission people to want to participate, as it would only link to Carfree stuff, not to them. And their "Day without my car" is on the last day of Mobility Week, so there would be no reason to link to that to promote the whole weeks events (and Google seems to only do one day things...).

          Also, since real participation in Carfree actions requires preparation, there would really be any direct effect on the same day. Hmm..... there might have to be some more clever collaboration on our end of the "link".

          There could be a page added for one day to the top "Carfree" Googles. It would say "Today is World Carfree Day" and "European Day without my car", and give some basic info, then from their people could "proceed to Carfree.com" or to " orld Carfree Network" or "proceed to European Commission Day without my car" etc. Also, the EU theme is this year is "Clever Commuting" (like that biodiesel shuttle), so we could offer to Google to link back to that....

          I am very reluctant to talk to Google until we know this works technically and of course til we have a conversation with the Commission or other actors. The next special Google logo will be up on 22 April: Earth Day.

          I request that any other strategic and tactical comments on this issue be sent to me OFF list at cyklopraha@centrum. cz

          However, any issues which you feel are more philosophical - or about the pedal-powered Popemobile - should be made ON the list.

          Thanks!
          - Todd

          > Od: mail@...
          > Komu: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
          > CC:
          > Datum: 03.04.2005 03:35
          > Předmět: Re: [carfree_cities] Carfree Day on Google?
          >

          > > "....The Toyota Prius is currently the most popular hybrid car, and is
          > > even the vehicle of choice of Larry Page and Sergey Brin - the founders
          > of
          > > internet search engine Google..."
          > >
          > > that was from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4092707.stm
          >
          > They are also big fans of the Segway. If I recall, most of the early PR
          > shots were of them on Segways, but not so much anymore.
          >
          > Anyway, I think this is a good idea. They supposedly read all their
          > e-mail, so that might be a way to get in contact with them. They seem
          > fairly progressive in their ideas, so they might be up for it. They have a
          > shuttle between San Francisco and their headquarters, to get people out of
          > their cars and save money:
          >
          > http://www.google.com/googleblog/2004/09/worth-drive_13.html
          >
          > Plus, it runs on biodiesel! When they run those images, the sites it links
          > to get lots of publicity. Here is a page that shows how many hits the top
          > result for [vincent van gogh] got after they recently showed that for a
          > day:
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/7xa7n
          >
          > I'm not sure how they would integrate out concept with the Google logo,
          > though.
          >
          > Andrew
        • Jym Dyer
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
            =v= I think it's a great idea to lobby Google to do a World
            Carfree Day logo. The World Carfree Network is an actual
            organization (springing out of _Carbusters_ magazine) that
            inaugurated World Carfree Day, so it should be whatever day
            they've chosen. (They've tended to shift it a bit.)

            =v= As an aside, I'm not even remotely interested in whether
            Google heavies are into "better" cars that run on "better"
            fuel. That's pretty much irrelevant to carFREEdom. I have
            to admit I'm a bit distresses at the amount of new whizbang
            car fetishism on the carfree and carfree_cities email lists.
            Aren't there, like, 9 million other email lists devoted to
            that sort of thing?
            <_Jym_>