Fw: [MovingHouston] President Bush Rides Transit

  • Mike Morin
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 12:22 PM
      On April 1, President Bush met reporters at a Washington transit platform
      to announce his new policy in support of smart growth and public transit as
      a step toward ending our dependence on foreign oil. "This is a national
      security issue and crucial to sustained economic growth", said the
      President. At the end of the press conference, he got on the subway
      saying "What would Jesus do? Ride transit".

      The President said he would not raise the gas tax at this time, as "this
      would be an unacceptable burden on taxpayer because, in so many cities,
      there is little choice but drive". "At one time, Americans traveled by
      energy efficient and low cost streetcars owned and operated by the private
      sector. Then government stepped in and began building highways. After
      trillions of dollars of public subsidy over 70 years, the highways are
      still clogged with traffic. It's time we privatized highway
      building." The President announced a commission to come up with policy
      recommendations about stimulating private sector initiatives in
      transportation and transit oriented development." The President said
      his policy will have little immediate impact on jobs in the auto and
      petroleum industry.

      "We have enjoyed three generations of abundant oil and natural
      gas. Perhaps critics are correct that global oil production will peak
      soon. It seems rising gasoline prices are here to stay. To keep
      America's economy growing, we must prepare for the next era About half of
      our energy is spent on transportation" said the President. "This is a step
      toward sustaining our economic growth."

      Full story on www.chron.com

      April Fools. This is a spoof. Joke, joke.