Re: [carfree_cities] Thom Mayne/Caltrans bldg

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 21 1:56 PM
      Actually, I've been in both places, and they're quite
      exhilarating...they remind me of remote reaches of the Grand Canyon,
      which I've crossed several times in different directions; the
      experience they provide is far more accessible to most people, of
      course. There's something about great vaults of space enclosed in
      volumes of transmuted stone that has resonated with us since our humble
      origins in the savannahs.... Notre Dame is also a monstrosity of
      sorts, designed, after all, to make man feel small about himself, and
      crusted with purposely ugly decorations; its interior height is
      impressive by excess, and it is no more or less graceful than the
      Caltrans building (though indeed it is better detailed).

      Actually I prefer the Caltrans building to the Tokyo Edo, and Notre
      Dame more than either, and Grand Canyon to them all...but the reasons
      are purely sentimental. They all invoke similar feelings to different
      degrees...there's a place for the grand in life, as long as it's not
      grand and banal, as most US corporate architecture has been lately.

      Richard
      On Mar 21, 2005, at 1:48 PM, Doug Salzmann wrote:

      > On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Richard Risemberg wrote:
      >

      >> Does it help that the Caltrans building so scornfully referred to has
      >> grand pedestrian plaza entrance, but rather modest automobile
      >> entrances?
      >
      > No.
      >
      >> The building is quite reminiscent of the Tokyo Edo Museum
      >
      > Another monstrosity.
      >
      > <http://wwwthep.physik.uni-mainz.de/~cbauer/japan2/164.jpg>
      >
      > An inviting environment for pedestrian robots.
      >
      > <http://www.jref.com/gallery/showphoto.php?
      > photo=118&size=big&sort=1&cat=all&page=1>

      http://www.rickrise.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.living-room.org
    • CEB
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 21 2:24 PM
        A couple of thoughts on all of this:

        1 - Building in Toyko is Cute, it looks like a creature
        2 - Why does Caltrans building have a car entrance at all? (Or just for State of California-owned hybrids only used for business purposes when there is a transit strike?).

        Todd