revitalizing a surburban downtown

  • Andrew Hitchcock
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2005
      My hometown is currently undergoing lots of change as the downtown is
      being reestablished. Mercer Island is a small suburb of Seattle (right
      across Lake Washington) which has historically been mostly single family
      suburban dwellings. Recently they've been building some new mixed use
      buildings in the downtown area. I think this is great because it
      encourages people to live closer to the city (instead of suburbs 30+ miles
      away from downtown Seattle). Also, the roads are small and narrow, making
      it a nice little city center (well, once the work is finished). You can
      read about the work and people's objections here:

      http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002198462_mercer06.html

      And I have posted some commentary and a rebuttal on my new
      urban/liberal/libertarian blog:

      http://liberalechochamber.blogspot.com/2005/03/revitalizing-downtown-mercer-island.html

      Andrew

      PS: How can it be liberal and libertarian? Well, I side with the
      libertarians on a lot of things, but I'm pro-transit, which is completely
      against libertarian principles :)