New book: The High Cost of Free Parking

  • Erik Rauch
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2005
      From: "ITS" <its@...>
      Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:06:40 +0000

      The Institute of Transportation Studies at UCLA is pleased to announce
      publication of The High Cost of Free Parking by Professor Donald Shoup.

      Shoup explains how off-street parking requirements are devastating American
      cities. Free parking, he argues, has contributed to auto dependence, rapid urban
      sprawl, extravagant energy use, and a host of other problems. Our cities sprawl
      on a scale fit for cars rather than for humans because our parking policies
      assume that all trips will be by car and all parking should be free. This book
      unravels current parking policies and proposes sensible, fair alternatives that
      will deliver us from the high cost of free parking. Information about the book
      is available at: http://www.planning.org/bookservice/freeparking.