Re: [carfree_cities] high density and noise

  • CEB
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2005
      Larry ,

      There are of course all sorts of sound-deadening technologies, and landlords who give rent discounts, and I suppose the possibility of giving single deaf people free or discount housing where it is noisy, and of course designs which separate noisey places from residential places while still keeping them mixed use... BUT I think a really big problem of many is AMPLIFIED MUSIC!

      The music goes on, the people talk, the music gets louder to compensate, then the people talk louder, etc. You know how it goes. I am talking about outdoor dining places and places with summer gardens, not indoor rock clubs, etc.

      Traffic noise is one of the enemies of civilisation , but other types of noise are also really bad. I have a ringing in my ear, but believe me I didnt get it from living near a freeway. It was from a attending public events (music or even films) where extremely loud noise is tolerated.

      NYC has had some controversial crackdowns on noise pollution (honking, etc) but what is probably a better idea is to start something in the grassroots like a "Slow Food" (give it a Google) movement in concerts or entertainment, though I cant think of any clever monikers for it now.

      Still, music is one of the main reasons to live, so it would be stupid and counterproductive to get fundamentalist about silence or "acoustic music only!!!\" Just turn down the bass, please. One thing that could work is letting "sound producing businesses" go crazy on weekends in trade for being mellow during the week.

      OR get classical musicians to support your new movement and make it so everyone expects a string quartet at dinner...

      Todd