Re: [carfree_cities] Re: McLanes vs. Train Lanes

  • Simon Baddeley
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 1 5:54 AM
      This exchange which I suspect is very significant also seems very esoteric.
      Could someone share the larger picture - explaining why these details are
      important. For me a train tends to be train, whereas given that carfree
      cities are highly dependent on rail for intra and intercity transit I guess
      I should be much more rail literate than I feel lurking on this conversation
      which is filling up with acronyms by the hour (:))

      Simon B

      On 1/3/05 1:46 pm, "Greg Steele" <thegisguru@...> wrote:

      > --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "emccaughrin"
      > <emccaughrin@y...> wrote:
      >>
      >> --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford"
      >> <mailbox@c...> wrote:
      >>>

      >>> The first PCC car was non-standard, too. Once they had built
      >>> thousands of them, it WAS the standard.
      >>
      >> Because the design didn't require changes to existing
      >> infrastructure. Nobody would have used it if it required making
      >> changes to rail guage.
      >>

      >>> Now, once they take another 40 or 50 tons off, they'll only be
      >>> twice as heavy as an airliner carrying the same number of
      >>> people. ;-)
      >>
      >> And more than twice as comfortable.

      >>> Constant equipment failures on Duct Railways, and especially on
      >>> the new trams from Siemens and some older onces from Holec.
      >>
      >> So the next time a transit agency needs to purchase rolling stock,
      >> they'll know what to avoid. That's the nice thing about having a
      >> large global competitive market.

      >>> This is not fully balanced; there is still a large side force
      >>> (i.e., derailing force) on the bogies.
      >>
      >> Well, once you figure out how to make a train go around curves
      >> without undergoing centripetal acceleration, we'll nominate you for
      >> the Nobel Prize.
      >
      > It is possible for a "train" to corner fast, see:
      >
      > http://www.sixflags.com/parks/greatadventure/Rides/nitro.html
      >
      > A coaster is designed to give thrills, a
    • CEB
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 1 6:18 AM
        Hi,

        I think that an esoteric discussion is fine and useful on this list BUT that jargon and acronyms should be avoided and references listed as a matter of course.

        Todd

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 1 8:02 AM
          Re: Interstate Rail

          Simon says:

          >This exchange which I suspect is very significant also seems very esoteric.
          >Could someone share the larger picture - explaining why these details are
          >important. For me a train tends to be train, whereas given that carfree
          >cities are highly dependent on rail for intra and intercity transit I guess
          >I should be much more rail literate than I feel lurking on this conversation
          >which is filling up with acronyms by the hour (:))

          I think this discussion really belongs somewhere else, and
          on somebody's time besides mine.

          I think the idea has enough merit to be worth a million-dollar
          preliminary feasibility study by Gibbs & Hill--anybody wnat to
          do the fundraising? Or know somebody at G&H who cuold be
          convinced that it's in their own best interests to look into
          this pro-bono?

          Otherwise, I'd like to drop this discussion.

          Regards,

          -- ### --