Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Vote in Star Tribune Poll!

  • Dan Kliman
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 21, 2005
      --- Mike Morin <mikemorin@...> wrote:
      > Many "liberal" voters are as auto and consumer
      > addicted as "conservatives",

      The key word here is addicted. Many in the USA do not
      believe they have a choice, and in many places, they
      are right.

      Furthermore, the maladaptive behavior of Americans is
      consistent with addiction including obsessing over the
      activity, compulsion to drive, and persisting in it
      even knowing that it is bad for them.

      In addiction medicine, we talk of the "stages of
      change" model, and in the USA, most Americans are in
      the "pre-contemplative" stage, unaware they have a
      problem. When trying to get elected, it is unwise to
      question people's hard-core addictions. Once the
      votes are in, then the hard choices can be made.

      From the grass-roots perspective, our job is to make
      American people aware that there is a problem and to
      make our politicians aware that they have the power to
      enact solutions.

      Dan

      =====
      http://www.geocities.com/dankliman