Re: How to have a car once in a while?

  • Karen Sandness
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
      On Feb 12, 2005, at 5:58 PM, carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Sorry for asking trivial questions for Americans, but here in Hungary
      > we
      > have only one driving license you get only after taking compulsory
      > classes
      > and an passing exam.
      > So what's the story with driver's permits and licenses in the US? What
      > can
      > you do with a driver's permit that you can't do without a license?

      A driver's permit is for people who are learning to drive and need to
      practice in order to pass their license exam. They have to take a
      written test about traffic rules, and they can practice only with an
      adult licensed driver accompanying them. In order to get a license to
      drive alone, they have to take another test about traffic rules and
      also take a road test to demonstrate how well they can perform various
      maneuvers, such as turning right and left, backing up, parallel
      parking, passing, and stopping. If they pass the road test, they
      receive their license.

      The part that most people dread is parallel parking. My mother had to
      take the test twice, because the examiner asked her to park the car
      within a rectangle marked by red flags. She failed the test the first
      time, because she knocked over a flag.

      The licensing of drivers is a function of the individual states, but
      most follow this procedure. When moving from one state to another,
      licensed drivers must apply for a new license, but this is a simple
      matter of taking the rules test and paying a fee.

      In transit,
      Karen Sandness