Re: [carfree_cities] How to have a car once in a while?

  • Andras Toth
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
      >So we just got our driver's permits. It all of a sudden hits us how
      >complicated this all is.
      >We can't practice on our friend's cars, or even my parent's cars, because
      >we don't have
      >insurance. So we will probably have to take classes. After we get our
      >licenses, what will we
      >drive? Even if we wanted our own car, we really can't afford it. We could
      >rent a car when we

      Sorry for asking trivial questions for Americans, but here in Hungary we
      have only one driving license you get only after taking compulsory classes
      and an passing exam.
      So what's the story with driver's permits and licenses in the US? What can
      you do with a driver's permit that you can't do without a license?

      Andras Toth
      Budapest
    • Karen Sandness
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
        On Feb 12, 2005, at 5:58 PM, carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Sorry for asking trivial questions for Americans, but here in Hungary
        > we
        > have only one driving license you get only after taking compulsory
        > classes
        > and an passing exam.
        > So what's the story with driver's permits and licenses in the US? What
        > can
        > you do with a driver's permit that you can't do without a license?

        A driver's permit is for people who are learning to drive and need to
        practice in order to pass their license exam. They have to take a
        written test about traffic rules, and they can practice only with an
        adult licensed driver accompanying them. In order to get a license to
        drive alone, they have to take another test about traffic rules and
        also take a road test to demonstrate how well they can perform various
        maneuvers, such as turning right and left, backing up, parallel
        parking, passing, and stopping. If they pass the road test, they
        receive their license.

        The part that most people dread is parallel parking. My mother had to
        take the test twice, because the examiner asked her to park the car
        within a rectangle marked by red flags. She failed the test the first
        time, because she knocked over a flag.

        The licensing of drivers is a function of the individual states, but
        most follow this procedure. When moving from one state to another,
        licensed drivers must apply for a new license, but this is a simple
        matter of taking the rules test and paying a fee.

        In transit,
        Karen Sandness