Re: [carfree_cities] ABC News and TIME Magazine to Report Special Series on Traffic on American Roadways

  • CEB
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 2005
      Ryan,

      Good luck with your new job. I hope their proportion of "overseas and Mother Nature" to the rest of the issues concerning habitation, access, mobility, and proximity (HAMP... just kidding) is higher than in the ABC-TIME plan!

      I looked up your new work place in Google and found some of the SCA sites from areas around Toronto proper, trying to see what the program is.

      Remind me next week of this if you dont know about it: The "smart mobility " people in Perth, Australia. Cant remember the name of their program now but if you dont know them either then.. next week.

      The reason I mention them is that they seem to start with a similar cautious approach to THEIR very car addicted people... (i.e. no mention of ... public transport!).... but later they do things like having bus drivers do personal visits (!) to people who have never taken public transit before to say "Hey, I am going to take care of you!!"

      One thing: I am not sure how far along your programme is BUT there is nothing about it easily visible on the main Toronto website, nor on the next level down, the pages "Public transport" and especially "Getting Around"!!

      Attractive logo, and really good that the initiative is somewhat regional.

      Anyway, I hope you are able to gradually "fold" into the programme some of the things we talk about on this list all the time. Actually, why dont you pre-order 10,000 copies of the Canadian version of "Cutting your car use" that Randy is editing (he is supposed to do a " North American version" but I advise against it as you guys and gals have your own way of thinking, to some extent, eh?

      Todd Edelman
      Steering Committee, WCN

      ------

      automobile ads below? Contact www.irony.ca